[HOWTO] mod_ruid2

If you are on custombuild 2.0 you should follow Sellerone's advise.
If you are on custombuild 1.2 you can use this to convert existing users:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts && ./set_permissions.sh user_homes
find /home/*/domains/*/public_html -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755
find /home/*/domains/*/public_html -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644
find /home/*/domains/*/public_html -type f -name '*.cgi*' -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find /home/*/domains/*/public_html -type f -name '*.pl*' -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find /home/*/domains/*/public_html -type f -name '*.pm*' -exec chmod 755 {} \;
cd /usr/local/directadmin/data/users && for i in `ls`; do { chown -R $i:$i /home/$i/domains/*/public_html;}; done;

No experience with mod_ruid(2) here.

Question:
I did a lot of Googling. This seems to be the most complete tutorial.However I am wondering if I have to chown certain directories to "webapps" to get services like roundcube and squirrelmail to work. I did not see this step listed in any tutorial but I did find a lot of topics on related issues.

Yes you should be able to do it. There is in fact a better and indeed complete tutorial online. It's also tested.
However, this is for custombuild 1.2. If you use custombuild 2.0 you don't need it, you can activate it from CB 2.0 and it will be installed for you.

This is the complete tutorial I'm talking about:
http://wiki.amservers.nl/Mod_ruid2

Thank you Richard.
Yes you should be able to do it. There is in fact a better and indeed complete tutorial online. It's also tested.
However, this is for custombuild 1.2. If you use custombuild 2.0 you don't need it, you can activate it from CB 2.0 and it will be installed for you.

This is the complete tutorial I'm talking about:
http://wiki.amservers.nl/Mod_ruid2
I am using a pre-installed DirectAdmin CentOs 6.5 image on my VPS. I had to check the version:
# grep ^BUILDSCRIPT_VER /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build | cut -d= -f2
So I guess the new question is: What is wiser; upgrading to custombuild 2.0 or following a 1.2 tutorial?

Any thoughts about the pro's and cons?

Last edited:
Custombuild 2.0 is still in beta stage and sometimes still some strange things happen as you can read on the forums, but they are mostly fix fast.
Custombuild 1.2 is the stable version.
However, I think in this point of time it doesn't matter much which version you install, a lot of users here already run CB 2.0 without any problems.

Pro's and con's... well... it might be personal choice on what you want to use.
The pro's of CB 2.0 are that you're able to use a newer version of apache if I'm correct, CB 2.0 is already build in.
If it's a new to install vps, there is not really a reason not to use CB 2.0 as far as I know. It's using newer stuff.
However, if you want to still support older things like php 5.2 or want to use 5.2 and 5.3 together, you have to use CB 1.2 because 2.0 only supports php 5.3 and higher.
CB 2.0 dropped the things below.
Dropped PHP 4.4, 5.2 support
Dropped Apache 1.3, 2.0, 2.2 support
Dropped MySQL 4.1 support

If you don't need them, the look at this CB 2.0 faq:
http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=44743
because CB 2.0 has a lot of nice new features.

There's a complete conversion to mod_ruid2 tutorial on these forums. I used it for a long time, but I've happily switched all our servers to CustomBuild 2, and I've never looked back :)

Jeff

The one on the forums is not 100% complete as far as I know. The one I linked to is complete and tested and dummyproof to do. It's made from the posts made here on the forums and input from users and the mod_ruid2 author.

We first want to upgrade to php 5.4 or maybe 5.5 but will wait upgrading to CB 2.0 until it's declared stable. But that's by choice.;)

Before I switched to CustomBuild 2 I used the instructions in this thread to convert to mod_ruid2 many times without problems.

But once you switch to CustomBuild 2 you'll find it so much easier you'll never look back. :)

Jeff

Well.. I like the link better, it's more up to date. For example we don't use group apache anymore but group access.

I might switch to CB 2.0 when we install a new server, CB 1.2 is running nice and stable on all our servers, so I rather not change something which is running fine at the moment when there is no real need for it.

Back