IMAP Mailbox Suddenly Empty - Directadmin recognize large mailbox quotas?

quadium

Verified User
Odd problem:

One IMAP user has lost his inbox suddenly and completely. Gone off his phone, his computer and off webmail (roundcube). This happened before, (hit the mailbox limit) but resolved itself once I added space to the mailbox.

To ensure this didn't occur again, we increased the mailbox size to 2500MB.

Today it was at 228.6MB when this problem occurred again. Exim logs were:

2010-09-07 07:41:31 1OszMT-0004la-HR == [email protected] R=virtual_user T=virtual_localdelivery defer (122): Disk quota exceeded: mailbox is full

You could also see these messages sitting in the queue.

Does Directadmin/Dovecot recognize 2500MB? Or does it only see 3 digits? I changed the mailbox size to 750MB and mail started flowing again.

Odd.

Hello,

All email accounts, regardless of their limit, are still limited by the User quota. He's likely hit his User quota, and not the email quota.
Code:
quota -v [b]username[/b]
John

My guess is that what's happening is that once the user hits his user quota Dovecot can't write index files necessary for imap.

Jeff

No, this is not only quota problem.
Today I had similar situation. Clients' mail just vanished from webmail interface. Though his quota is not exceeded.
Moving all mails from his maildir and then moving it back solved the problem.
But it would be nice to know why is it happening. To prevent in the future.

The index may be out of sync. If you delete all the index files Dovecot will reindex when the user next logs in.

Jeff

Back