SpamBlocker-Powered exim.conf, Version 4

Doesn't seem to be doing that, just enabled it and restarted Exim, setup a bogus sender email, [email protected], and tried sending an email to a gmail account:

Code:
2011-03-03 13:36:44 1Pv7ls-0004Dp-AR <= [email protected] H=localhost (www.prism.nl) [127.0.0.1] P=esmtpa A=login:test S=800 [email protected] T="Test" from <[email protected]> for w******@gmail.com
2011-03-03 13:36:45 1Pv7ls-0004Dp-AR => w******@gmail.com F=<[email protected]> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp S=831 H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.79.27] X=TLSv1:RC4-SHA:128 C="250 2.0.0 OK 1299155805 w12si2184449eeh.80"
2011-03-03 13:36:45 1Pv7ls-0004Dp-AR Completed

Since the domain prismnonexistent.nl and the user nonexistent don't exist on this server or anywhere else for that matter, shouldn't Exim just bounce the mail directly back to me?

Sender verify only verifies inbound email (in-to your server), not outbound email (going to another server)

Thanks for clarifying that propcgamer. I probably misread that "for local senders" to be the same as "outbound email (going to another server)". Still would be a nice touch though to have it act for outbound email as well. Recently had some trouble with a spammer, he compromised an email account and sent lots of emails with a non existent sender email address.

Updating my old exim.conf

I'm trying to update the spamblocker to version 4, configged only minimal, and i'm getting wierd errors.

I checked the readme, went over all the steps, and getting problems accepting mails from google for example:

Here is al log:

Code:
2011-03-03 17:55:11 H=mail-ey0-f181.google.com [209.85.215.181] rejected EHLO or HELO mail-ey0-f181.google.com: Bad HELO - Host impersonating hostname [mail-ey0-f181.google.com]
2011-03-03 17:55:11 H=mail-ey0-f181.google.com [209.85.215.181] rejected EHLO or HELO mail-ey0-f181.google.com: Bad HELO - Host impersonating hostname [mail-ey0-f181.google.com]

This is a test mail being sent from my gmail account to a virtual user.

Curious. The server which I use to receive my email continues to get email from Google. I've checked my logs, and emails from the same server in your rectlog, mail-ey0-f181.google.com, are getting through. Additionally I just sent an email from one of my gmail accounts, and it came through, but from a different server.

Please post the entire section headed #EDIT#25 from your /etc/exim.conf file so I can compare it with mine.

Thanks.

Jeff

it's the default one...
Code:
#EDIT#25:
acl_check_helo:
  # accept mail originating on this server unconditionally
  accept  hosts = @[] : @
  # deny if the HELO pretends to be this host
    deny message = Bad HELO - Host impersonating hostname [$sender_helo_name]
      condition = ${if or { \
                            {match{$sender_helo_name}{$smtp_active_hostname}} \
                            {eq{$sender_helo_name}{[$interface_address]}} \
                          } {true}{false} }
  # deny if the HELO is an IP address
    deny message = HELO is an IP address (See RFC2821 4.1.3)
         condition   = ${if isip{$sender_helo_name}}
  # deny if the HELO pretends to be one of the domains hosted on the server
    deny message = Bad HELO - Host impersonating domain name [$sender_helo_name]
        condition = ${if match_domain{$sender_helo_name}{+local_domains}{true}{false}}
        hosts = ! +relay_hosts
  accept

It's exactly the same as mine, which does work for me. I have no idea why it wouldn't work for you except that for some reason DNS isn't returning what it should.

Try manual DNS testing, and also some manual tests using exim -bh.

Jeff

Hello. Why SB4 does not contain per user limits?
does any body use something like this in exim.pl from NoBaloney?:

PHP:
 if (open (LIMIT, "/etc/virtual/limit_$name"))
        {
                $email_limit = int(<LIMIT>);
                close(LIMIT);
        }
        else
        {
                open (LIMIT, "/etc/virtual/limit");
                $email_limit = int(<LIMIT>);
                close(LIMIT);
        }

I no longer keep my exim.pl file updated. Please try the latest exim.pl file from DirectAdmin, and let me know if it works for you.

For fastest response email me instead of a forum reply; my email address is below.

Jeff

Im using the latest exim.pl file from directadmin with sb4 without problem except for the one listed before.

Per-user limit is working perfectly.

Regards

Do you mean post 150 from this thread?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Jeff

yes that error on sender verify fail.

Didnt tryed with latest exim.pl (VERSION 8).

I still didnt get how it work on dns.. cause.. dns seems to be working fine.. but... everything seems be working fine without that aswell.

SB4 is good enough on killing about the 90+% of spam.

Regards

So is this definitely an exim.pl problem? Have you tried with other exim.pl files? With the newest one?

Jeff

Yes for sure was exim.pl problem cause the one from sb4 website was working perfectly.

Trying right now to enable sender verify and seems to be working.. but.. the strange part is that in past the first 30mins was ok then started to get probelms...

Ill let u know.

Regards

I think you're saying that the most recent exim.pl is working properly with my latest SpamBlocker file. Is that correct?

If so I can remove my file and just create a link.

Thanks.

Jeff

Seems like www.nobaloney.net is no more...

EDIT: It's back, seems like it had a temporary DNS failure.
We had a problem with one of our nameservers, in our US datacenter, caused by a loose cable after a switch was previously hastily installed. However our nameserver in Germany should have still been working.

You can always check our status at Twitter (twitter.com).

Jeff

It's exactly the same as mine, which does work for me. I have no idea why it wouldn't work for you except that for some reason DNS isn't returning what it should.

Try manual DNS testing, and also some manual tests using exim -bh.

Jeff

finaly got the problem fixed, it was the exim.key file that had the old hostname (server named got switched last month) and google didn't accept the key...

So, all is well, version 4 is running like a baby ;).

Back