Notify admin and user if user exceeds the email limit

cyberneticos

Verified User
It would be nice if Directadmin would notify the admin and user if user exceeds the email limit in /etc/virtual/limits

Thats where it checks for the limit file, I'm sure of it.

Maybe Jeff or Floyd can verify my thinking....... or not ;)

Why don't you write a simple script, that will run with cron and check limits and send notifications?

Becuase I don't know how :)

And that's why I created this Feature Request, in the Feature Request forum, so Directadmin can include it in a future release.

:)

Last edited:
So far only one person is asking for it. Let's get some dialog going so DirectAdmin staff can make an informed decision after knowing how many people need/want it.

Jeff

Sounds like a plan,

The reason I think it would be a good idea to inform customers that they are getting close or have reached thier limits is:

1- So they know they are close or have reached thier limits
2- To reduce load on tech support
3- To detect a vulnerability problem (spam holes, etc.)
4- To become better hosting companies.

:)

So I was right, its the perl script.
If you have an older exim.conf and exim.pl, you may need to update these files to get properly working stats
What if people are using the Spamblocker v4 config? Any alterations? Or are the alterations just in the perl script?

I believe that the SpamBlocker-powered exim.conf file, version 4 will work properly, and we always recommend updating to the latest exim.pl file when doing the install.

Jeff

Magnificent. This should be added to Directadmin by default. It's a must. Thanks for the contribution!

Thanks John. Feels good to know your there for technical stuff.

Since I have no doubt you're going to read this response, would you mind responding to any of my other worries?

Which worries? (FYI, I've included the User as a recipient of the message so they know as well)

John

ive 2 question about this:

1. how much is a good limit? Ive read on directadmin link that 200 is a nice value, but, from experience, how much you use to set?

2. i cant find on any stats the "Email delivered" value, where exactly this should be placed?

regards

Hello,

1) Check to see how many emails your clients are currently sending (/etc/virtual/usage) and set the value a bit higher than that (to allow for busier days)... perhaps double would be reasonable. This will vary per system, per user, per day, etc.. so picking a specific number would be up to the Admin and may require ongoing changes to keep a reasonable limit.

2) The row for "Email Deliveries" will be in the bandwidth breakdown pop-up page. When viewing the User stats, there will be a "details" button next to the bandwidth. Clicking this button will bring up the bandwidth breakdown pop-up.

John

Back