Dovecot v2.0.9 released

interfasys

Verified User
http://dovecot.org/releases/2.0/dovecot-2.0.9.tar.gz
http://dovecot.org/releases/2.0/dovecot-2.0.9.tar.gz.sig

- Linux: Fixed a high system CPU usage / high context switch count performance problem
- Maildir: Avoid unnecessarily reading dovecot-uidlist while opening mailbox.
- Maildir: Fixed renaming child mailboxes when namespace had a prefix.
- mdbox: Don't leave partially written messages to mdbox files when aborting saving.
- Fixed master user logins when using userdb prefetch
- lda: Fixed a crash when trying to send "out of quota" reply
- lmtp: If delivering duplicate messages to same user's INBOX, create different GUIDs for them. This helps to avoid duplicate POP3 UIDLs when pop3_uidl_format=%g.
- virtual storage: Fixed saving multiple mails in a transaction (e.g. copy multiple messages).
- dsync: Saved messages' save-date was set to 1970-01-01.

Man you are fast! god bless you and thanks for this share! huh... i just wanna post that news.

Hello,

FYI, the custombuild code has been updated for 2.x, but testing with it has been limited.

If you wish to try 2.x, be sure you run "./build update" first so you have the new custombuild, then edit your versions.txt and change:
Code:
dovecot:1.2.16:8bbdf4e96e2e0f5749432ca9cb209a38
to be:
Code:
dovecot:2.0.9:
then type:
Code:
./build dovecot
and let us know if there are any issues.

John

I've been using v2.x for a few months (with smtalk's config change instructions) and haven't had any issues - I've just been upgrading by md5'ing the versions.txt.

This is on Debian 5.x.x by the way.

I am running CentOS 5.5 64bit. Does anybody know if I need to manually apply some necessary config changes when upgrading to 2.x using custombuild?

I've been using v2.x for a few months (with smtalk's config change instructions) and haven't had any issues - I've just been upgrading by md5'ing the versions.txt.

This is on Debian 5.x.x by the way.

Where can we find these instructions?

Hello,

I've just added dovecot 2.0.9 to the versions.txt.
Type:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build dovecot
John

So, should it be safe to upgrade from Dovecot 1.2.16 to Dovecot 2.0.9 using Custombuild? (I am using CentOS 5.5 64bit) Or does we need to manually add some config changes after upgrading?

custombuild does it all for you.
I've found no errors during my testing.
Also, others who have been using it already have also reported no errors.

John

Upgraded on 64bits system and got error

Error: service(pop3-login): listen:):, 110) failed: Address family not supported by protocol
Error: socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol
Error: service(pop3-login): listen:):, 995) failed: Address family not supported by protocol
Error: service(imap-login): listen:):, 143) failed: Address family not supported by protocol
Error: service(imap-login): listen:):, 993) failed: Address family not supported by protocol
Fatal: Failed to start listeners

Hello,

I believe the "::" is the IPv6 version of "*"

The closest related item I found was this:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/136781

In any case, it probably just means dovecot is trying to use IPv6, but your box may not support it.

Try adding this to the very top of your /etc/dovecot.conf:
Code:
listen = *
The internal default is
Code:
listen = *, ::
so by only having the * we're telling dovecot that we only want to listen on IPv4.

John

Just updated from version 1 to 2.09 using Custombuild. Tested it a bit and it seems to work fine.
________
Weed bubblers

Last edited:
maybe I am the only one but I am having huge issues with this update and using the default DA config file, webmail and remote pop both are broken although dovecot process is running. Both just simply timeout.

the process listens on all ports but I get weird auth timeout errors in dovecot's log for webmail and it doesnt even show pop connections. I have rolled it back to 1.2 for now and will investigate more later.

Last edited:
Hi
listen = * solve part of problem now i have new error
Code:
Starting dovecot: Error: service(imap-login): listen(*, 143) failed: Address already in use

thanks will try this again later, I cannot do it now as is daytime.

my /etc/dovecot.conf is indeed different to the /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf file.

Both say ## Dovecot 2.0 configuration file at the top so I know they neither are the old config file but they are different, the /etc/dovecot.conf doesnt have the shadow stuff in it.

I sent you more details in email John.

Hi
listen = * solve part of problem now i have new error
Code:
Starting dovecot: Error: service(imap-login): listen(*, 143) failed: Address already in use
my bad process still running on 143 port i just kill it and dovecot run

ok I tested on a less busy server and fixed it.

the config in /etc/dovecot.conf was correct to work. the one in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf was wrong.

I changed

passdb {
driver = passwd
}

to

passdb {
driver = shadow
}

and linked the 2 config's.

ok I tested on a less busy server and fixed it.
It doesn't work for me either. I tried it on a single domain server and the mail no longer works. I'm on FreeBSD 64 also. I'm doing a rollback to the snapshot I made before the update for now. I'll try it again when this is fixed.

PS: Just did a rollback and everything works again

Last edited:
Back