NameServer ns1.domain.com is not a valid Nameserver

tyr0n

Verified User
How do I check if the nameserver and the DNS is up and running.

When trying to add new nameservers for my domain at the register I keep getting the error in title.

I'm sure I have configured DA correctly from the UI. Last time I installed DA it was all setup automatically but not this time :( .

I also host both ns1 and ns2 on the same box with unique IP for each one.

Last edited:
I guess, you must register your NS servers at registrar just before you'll able to use them.

i'm not sure what you mean.

I get the error when trying to update nameservers of the domain at my registar site. I get an error that the nameserver is no valid.

When changing your domain to use a new nameserver, your registrar check with NSI-Registry if that nameserver you submit is valid, you can also check out here http://www.internic.net/whois.html (select nameserver).

If your nameserver did not appear there, that's the reason why they said "invalid nameserver".

Registrars are responsible for register nameserver of their client's domains with NSI. If your registrar did not offer this option, just transfer your domain to other registrar who offer nameserver registration.

so, since I get No match for nameserver error at the internic.net it means my nameservers have not been configured correctly? Am I right?

there is no named.conf file in my /etc/ folder. What do I do? Where to start with error finding?

something seems to be wrong with my setup :/

Last edited:
What OS are you running there?

For FreeBSD it is /var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf. But why do you need it? You'd better add news records in Directadmin web-interface.

I dont think my dns server is working. When I try to register my nameservers with a domain I get the following error: nameserver ns1.example.com is not a valid Nameserver

Run

Code:
nslookup ns1.example.com ip_of_ns1.example.com_here

It's hard to help you more, till you hide your real domain name and IP.

You can't change to use your nameserves because you haven't set them up.

Reseller Club uses the Logic Boxes platform for domain registration, and so do we, so here's a link to the instructions from one of our websites; it should work for you:

Registering and Managing Child Name Servers (1275domains.com)

Note: while we'd be happy to have your business, I suggest you do NOT sign up for an account at 1275domains.com; we can offer members of the DirectAdmin forum much better pricing.

Jeff

It's been 3-1/2 years since the original post and user tyr0n hasn't posted in over a year. He edited his post after I wrote my solution, which indicates that he may have used my solution.

Have you looked at my link? It's still good:

Registering and Managing Child Name Servers (1275domains.com)

Jeff

confused

sir am regiater in blue host but there is no option for register my dns . i dnt understand how to register domain as dns server

sir am regiater in blue host but there is no option for register my dns . i dnt understand how to register domain as dns server

You have to register your nameserver; It means that your registrar has to create A records for your nameserver. Usually, it is called nameserver registration but many registrar don't have this feature automated, and in this case, you have to create a ticket & say please, register my 2 nameservers: ns1.yourdomain.ext A Ip-ofyour-server ns2.yourdomain.ext A ip-ofyour-server.

Coming back to the problem above, i know that some sandbox account are not connected to anything, their whois request module does not work and they may not recognize your nameservers. Try famous nameservers, like ns1.bluehost.com to see if it is accepted or not.

If you can use several sandboxes from several registrars to see if it is working with another registrar.

Back