SRS wanted in Directadmin

I would like to add the following page http://www.infradead.org/rpr.html for reference. I know it isn't an cPanel config, but I hope you will be able to work with it. I am neither an expert in SRS, Exim or cPanel. But having SRS available in DirectAdmin would be greatly appreciated.

It was a interesting read. Thank you! But did anybody notice at the bottom of the page http://www.infradead.org/rpr.html :

Last modified: Mon Sep 13 16:57:02 BST 2004

That is a very long time ago!

@ontracker,

My reading of the original link reinforces my long-held belief (since I went to a seminar held by the author of SPF years ago) that SPF is broken (it doesn't stop spam at all except in it's strictest use, and in it's strictest use it blocks an awful lot of legitimate email) and that SRS is simply a proposed work around for only one of it's problems (forwarding). Also note ditto's post in which he points out the proposal is from 2004; that's almost an entire generation in the computer world.

Nevertheless it may be a good workaround and it may be important to some people.

I've noticed a problem with the original diff file of the cPanel exim.code which i hadn't noticed before, reference the line
Code:
+  data = ${srs_recipient}
The plus line simply means add the code. But there's no reference to srs_recipient elsewhere in the patch or anywhere in the cPanel reference location previously mentioned. So unless there's a reference to it in some include file somewhere, it will probably break exim.

I would suggest first patching your cPanel exim.conf file to see if exim even works afterwards, and if so, if it works the way you expect and want.

Once you know it works on Exim, you could (or you could hire me or someone else) to try it on Exim on DirectAdmin, and to test it to make sure it doesn't break anything.

It could (and probably would) take hours to do. Until it was done I wouldn't know if it would require other changes (such as to exim.pl, and/or creation of other static or database files). I don't have the time for all this right now, for something I don't need myself.

I'd consider doing it as a project if you and/or others are willing to pay to sponsor it, or perhaps you could find someone else willing to do it.

Or perhaps you could convince me why it would help me and the users on my servers.

Otherwise I just don't see why I should put many hours into a project I don't personally need, but as I've already stated, anyone else can do it.

This thread is a feature request; let's see if anyone else writes and explains what it will do for us and why they think they need it.

Jeff

It looks like ${srs_recipient} is an internal function/variable, compiled into Exim with the Experimental_SRS module.

See here; http://wiki.exim.org/SRS

So it's not just going to be a case of a quick config change. You'll need to recompile Exim as well to get the functions and variables necessary to make this happen.

You can see if you have it enabled already by doing this;

Code:
root@illusion:~# /usr/sbin/exim -bV
Exim version 4.72 #1 built 12-Dec-2010 06:59:04
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge, 1995 - 2007
Berkeley DB: Berkeley DB 4.6.21: (September 27, 2007)
Support for: crypteq Perl OpenSSL move_frozen_messages Content_Scanning DKIM Old_Demime
Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz
Authenticators: cram_md5 plaintext
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Size of off_t: 4
OpenSSL compile-time version: OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
OpenSSL runtime version: OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
Configuration file is /etc/exim.conf

You need an "Experimental_SRS" entry in the "Support for: " line. The above is from my DA server. As you can see, the DA install does not enable it by default. That Exim SRS wiki page explains how to turn it on, compile it and configure it. Seems like too much work to me :|

Hi guys!

Now we have 2015 yr, Exim have support for SRS in default DirectAdmin install, but we can't use it :p
Can we expect, that SRS will be working in next releases?

[sub]Interesting; I guess that's the source of information needed to implement this into DA. Not saying it's a breeze to do so though...

But I guess I can be added to the list of people worried about forwarders in DA not being able to make it to the destination if the original sender has a strict SPF record. I would say that means Forwarders are currently partially broken, because of SPF being popular.[/sub]

(edit: see below)

Last edited:
[sub]Related threads I found:

That makes it sound like SRS is currently enabled by default, but only if a mailbox exists with the same name as the forwarder. Maybe the Forwarders page just needs to include a warning about that? "If you want to avoid SPF issues, make sure to also create a mailbox"?...

Or I guess one can just read through the whole second thread above, which should solve the issue. I'll try it now.[/sub]

Update: this has effectively solved the issue :D Just follow this guide to update your exim conf.

Last edited:
As for issues with DKIM and SPF on servers with SRS enabled.... it was found out that DKIM might get corrupted due to SRS, and SPF might fail if you don't have SRS. So we have to options here:

1. Use a pull method, instead of forwaring. For example if you forward emails to @GMAIL account, you will need to remove a forwarder in Directadmin, create an email box with the same name, and configure @GMAIL to pull emails from your Directadmin server.

2. Use Dovecot + Pigeonhole, and configure Sieve rules in RoundCube. You can find some ideas on how to build Dovecot+Pigeonhole+RoundCube from here: https://help.poralix.com/articles/creating-autoresponder-via-webmail-in

Back