URGENT: DA Backup restore errors

Devege

Verified User
Hello,

I get the following errors after restoring some DA backups to an other server:

=========================================================
Unable to read /etc/virtual/DOMAIN/passwd Unable to open /etc/virtual/DOMAIN/passwd for reading.

Catch all is now set to :fail:

Unable to read main db file for DOMAIN : Can't open file /var/named/DOMAIN.db for reading

User's System Quotas set

User's System Quotas set
Unable to read the ftp config file for domain DOMAIN

=========================================================

All the other backups of the same servers worked correctly.

Maybe it's relevant to tell that these domains with problems are subdomains of an domain that already exists in an other account of the same server. I.e.:

User 1: domain.com --> backup restored correctly
User 2: sub.domain.com --> errors while restoring backup

Some things, like DNS management aren't possibly, it says: Error Reading db file

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

Are you getting these during the restore process? Do they appear in the restore log?

If so check to see if the domai works. It could be that these are just not in the bckup.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your answer. These domains don't work. I see these errors in the message system. It normally has the subject "Your User files have been restored", but now "An error occurred during the restore.". These errors are in the content of this message.

I have resolved it temptorarily by placing the accounts with problems on an other server that doesn't host domain.com. So it looks like the problem is related to the function "Check domain owner for Subdomain creation", (despite the fact that I have set it to "no")

I'll come back to it later.

So it looks like the problem is related to the function "Check domain owner for Subdomain creation", (despite the fact that I have set it to "no")
To confirm it's truly off and disabled, type the following
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin
./directadmin c | grep check_subdomain_owner
Ensure it's set to 0.
Setting it to "no" isn't a valid option. It needs to be the number 0. (if you're referring to the Admin Settings, then "no" is ok.. .still check the ssh command to ensure it shows 0)

Then ensure DA is fully restarted, eg:
Code:
killall -9 directadmin
./directadmin d
There should also be some info about it in /var/log/directadmin/security.log

John

Just had the same thing going on, after a clean install and restoring, I was getting multiple errors caused by the subdomain protect. First I tried just disabling it, restoring again - but then these errors won't go away. Only after deleting all the users (who have the error, I just did all users) - and restoring them again will fix it.

My guess here is that DA wasn't completely restarted after disabling the features (perhaps the pid was out of sync, or the dataskq wasn't yet run via cron).... or the option wasn't completely "set" in the directadmin.conf (eg: missing newline characters, extra spaces). not too sure.
The errors would only show up if the option is enabled.. as there is an "if" based on the directadmin.conf settings... so somehow, it wasn't turned off.
If you run into the issue again, do let us know.

John

Sorry I wasn't specific enough, there is a difference between the first and second time:

The first time:
Code:
Error Creating Domain test.mydomain.tld : The domain mydomain.tld does not belong to you. The subdomain will not be created.
Related: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=925

Unable to read /etc/virtual/test.mydomain.tld/passwd Unable to open /etc/virtual/test.mydomain.tld/passwd for reading.

Unable to read main db file for test.mydomain.tld : Can't open file /var/named/test.mydomain.tld.db for reading

User's System Quotas set

User's System Quotas set
Unable to read the ftp config file for domain test.mydomain.tld
Unable to read the domain config file for domain test.mydomain.tld
An error occurred while writing the apache files: <b>Unable to read test.mydomain.tld.conf file</b>
<b>Unable to read test.mydomain.tld.conf file</b>

Then after disabling the setting:

Code:
Unable to read /etc/virtual/test.mydomain.tld/passwd Unable to open /etc/virtual/test.mydomain.tld/passwd for reading.

Unable to read main db file for test.mydomain.tld : Can't open file /var/named/test.mydomain.tld.db for reading

User's System Quotas set

User's System Quotas set
Unable to read the ftp config file for domain test.mydomain.tld

I thought that since there was a difference, I better just delete them all to give it a clean start.

Hi,

I am experiencing exactly the same issue when restoring a backup from sub.domain.com, while domain.com is assigned to another user.
I received identical error messages as Arieh, when checking subdomain owner was turned on and off.
I am using the newest DA version (fresh install on Debian 6). Any idea how to solve this?

What worked for me was to first disable the owner protection, then delete the user you want to restore, then restore it again, then just turn the owner protection on again since you're done.

Like this you give the restore a clean way through because if you restore it without deleting it there are still half restored files behind which it won't get overwritten or something.

Last edited:
Back