Varnish Plugin + DirectAdmin = OMG

Why wouldnt it work on debian or ubuntu? I thought its just a patch to the linux kernel.

Varnish is not a patch for anything, in any way. It's a user mode software proxy that caches requests, and handles them in a sophisticated manner. It works on all operating systems.

The product from Unixy is a script + service, which does the following:

1) Compiles Varnish
2) Modifies Apache and DirectAdmin Virtual Host templates to listen on port 82
3) Installs a custom crafted configuration for Varnish
4) Every time you run it, it will check for updates and if such are available, bring them and re-apply them

Since Varnish can be compiled on all operating systems, and since DirectAdmin's locations are always the same, I see no reason at all why this script should not work under Ubuntu / Debian. Even the /etc/varnish directory is the same on Ubuntu / Debian / CentOS / etc.

My question is to the Unixy developer, to ask if they made their product compatible with Ubuntu or Debian. I do not have an answer to that, only they can answer that question.

It doesn't work because the compiled python script is hard coded with centos only apps like yum, rpm... (also the custom varnish is tailored for the distro)

I tried hacking it for Debian but I give up, python is used as a functional language instead as a dynamic language which uses it's own functions to do the stuff it does. So you are forced to use it as they give it to you because it's hardcoded.

Last edited:
Im thinking of running this Varnish DA plugin from unixy, my server currently runs xCache. Will xCache interefere with Varnish at all? Is the DA Plugin for varnish from Unixy the latest version and best way to integrate varnish?

Sorry, one last question, does this plugin actually give you front end support thru the control panel (seems like they offer robust cpanel support)??

Thanks!

It's not very good anyway. I had to just implement it myself manually with custom templates, etc.
For example it was missing PURGE support, and also had some evil bugs when one of your pages had a 404 anywhere in it.

This also doesn't seem to work on CentOS 6.2, had been running it on Cent 5.6 without issue, but just reinstalled to 6.2 and I get the following:
server:/usr/local/directadmin/plugins/varnish.unixy.net-1.0b# python installvarnish
File "installvarnish", line 1
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xf2' in file installvarnish on line 1, but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details

Not to mention the DirectAdmin version is quite a few revisions behind their cPanel version, and still using Varnish 2.1.4, to which their support had no response to yet after a week or so.

We've already released a CentOS 6 and httpd 2.4.x version.

Regards

cannot get this to work right with invision forum software, got open (unaswered) ticket on it.
the plugin installs easy and for guest browsing really really really helps, problem is authenticated users get logged out.
vcl statements that work for some cause this to not work at all.
issue seems to be that pages are mix of content that is served to guests while some of it is only served to users.
looking like it needs to have esi statements but its beyond me :(

You hadn't had a newer working version (for me at least) for CentOS 6.2 for over 2 months after I put in an unanswered support ticket. The ticket remained that way for well over a month and a half, aside from my own replies to it asking for some assistance.

We've already released a CentOS 6 and httpd 2.4.x version.

Regards

think I got mine working ok with invisionboard, not using mod_deflate has had it running over 30 hours with guests and logged in users at same time on mixture of skins.
time will tell.
when it works its great,

Hello,
i have buy Varnish and test it now 3 Days , ever the Website ist not faster to load..., nothing is faster, also i open a Ticket in the Suport Website, no answere Nothing....

Regards
Thomas

i have the same result when i try on a server with many website..

i just see its much fast when the visitor refresh the same page..

i have try many thing for try to run fast servers with low cost in my life since i run many servers.. and nothing is a miracle if you need to run apache..

and the best configuration for have a good fast server on apache with low cost , its take one linux os 64 bits, and a good intel i7 with more of 12 gig ram and use HD in RAID 10 with card and battery + backup by r1soft and now you going to have a good one server with good fast execution with low cost

i can host around 1200 websites on each servers and i keep easy the load average at 1.x

we run many server at this and its run fast without problem

sorry for my english
im from quebec and im drunk now..lol

Good post, but I'm adding to the thread to point out only that Intel i7 processors are designed for use on desktops (they're actually the best laptop/desktop processors I could find, though they're a bit power hungry for laptops. My new desktop-replacement laptop uses one). While they make acceptable server processors for relatively low-end servers, they're not usable (at least as far as I've been able to find) in multi-processor-chip applications, and they're not optimized for server use. The latest Intel Xeon processors are still recommended for server use.

Jeff

Back