Suggestion for New Server Checklist

Yikes2000

Verified User
Hello all,

While the "DirectAdmin New Server Checklist" is insightful, I was thoroughly confused by the myriad of articles. The problem is that a typical article begins well enough with a step-by-step instruction, but then it is followed by page upon pages of discussion spanning over many months. By the end of the thread, I have no idea whether I should follow the original step-by-step, or apply some alternate steps mentioned on page X. Worst yet, I often don't know if the instruction applies to the latest version of the software (or which version it applies to).

It would great if the articles could adhere to a standard format: (1) the first message (containing step-by-step instructions) includes the software version and OS, (2) original poster regularly updates the first message to include corrections, (3) when a new version is release, start a new thread.

For example, imagine if most How-To's starts with the following information:

Subject: [How-to] DA-SpamAssassin 2.63 (RedHat 9)

Previous Version: SA 2.55 (<- URL link to previous article)
Last update: 7/1/2004

Another question: does the DA installation (done by DA staff) include some aspects of the above checklist? I'm guessing not.

Regards,
Andy

Yikes2000 said:
While the "DirectAdmin New Server Checklist" is insightful, I was thoroughly confused by the myriad of articles.
Don't be.
The problem is that a typical article begins well enough with a step-by-step instruction, but then it is followed by page upon pages of discussion spanning over many months.
You don't even have to read them.
By the end of the thread, I have no idea whether I should follow the original step-by-step, or apply some alternate steps mentioned on page X.
The original post is edited as necessary by the original author, after reading the added posts. So you really don't have to worry about them. Although I have found that some of the issues covered in it are no longer necessary.
Worst yet, I often don't know if the instruction applies to the latest version of the software (or which version it applies to).
Again, just don't worry. In some cases a more recent version is already installed in DA. Generally when installing a new DA server you don't have to worry; you're getting the most recent recommended versions.
Another question: does the DA installation (done by DA staff) include some aspects of the above checklist? I'm guessing not.
The DA install page gives you all you need to do. Many of us go further and follow the checklist.

However the checklist is just a list of what's worked for some of us; you can certainly build your server your way.

When we build our dedicated servers we compare the most recently updated checklist post against our own developed over a year now. And we sometimes find some new things to do both on the old servers and the new ones.

Jeff

The "DA New Server Checklist" seems to go beyond the normal installation to cover tasks that are common to most servers, for example, setting up a firewall. After installing a fresh OS and DA, admins would use the list to "beef up" or customize their servers. In fact, that's exactly my situation right now.

I've been managing my own FreeBSD server for years without control panels. As such, I was free to choose any program and version to install on my server. Now I am switching to a new OS (Linux) for VPS, and need to adjust to DA's choice of programs (i.e. Exim instead of Postfix). The checklist will be very helpful to me during the transition.

The checklist is also valuable to existing DA admins. I plan to read it regularly to fish for new ideas and features, instead of trolling the forum. I will wait for a program to make its way onto the checklist as an indication that it's been semi-tested by someone with success.

The checklist is not a good idea - it is a GREAT idea. It attempts to integrate the combined effort of DA developer and admin users by indexing articles from the support forums (here and elsewhere) and the knowledge base. I think it should be (1) mentioned at the end of the official DA Installation Guide, and (2) updated and maintained (it was last updated 11-26-2003). It will convince more companies (VPS and dedicated) to support DA, and more admins to switch (as it did for me).

Back