How do I create Multistore on multiple domains in Opencart?

zero8nl

Hi everyone,

Could not find an answer in all forums ive searched and i really need help.

I'm using :
Opencart 1.5.0.5
Directadmin dedicated server which I rent

I have 5 domains

domain1.nl
domain2.eu
domain3.eu
domain4.eu
domain5.eu

What i want to create
Domain1.nl is the standard webshop based on Opencart 1.5.0.5
domain2.eu has to be french with same adminpanel as domain1
domain3.eu has to be Italian with same adminpanel as domain1
domain4.eu has to be German with same adminpanel as domain1
domain5.eu has to be Spanish with same adminpanel as domain1

When a customer selct a language he has to be redirected to domain2 or domain 3 etc

I dont want to use subdomains of domain1.nl

Can anyone explain this to me please?

You probably need to use Domain Pointers. See http://www.site-helper.com/misc.html#pointers for more information.

This will result in all the domains pointing to the website of domain1.nl, while visiting the .eu domains. Then its up to Opencart to pick them up and do different things with them. I assume you can configure this in the administration section of Opencart.

Note that domain pointers will not allow you separate email services for separate domains.

Jeff

?

Note that domain pointers will not allow you separate email services for separate domains.

Jeff

Thats a problem, the webshops are seperate for eachother exept for admin so a Spanish customer get the messages from another e-mail then a French customer.

Someone said i need to have 1 FTP login for all domains?
Domain pointers will not work, then the customer just gets redirected to the .nl domain?

I've explained a solution for this yesterday in this thread. Note that its not an official way, and it requires commands trough SSH. But it should be exactly what you need. If you need help you could add me at MSN and I'll talk you through it.

I'm trying to do the same exact thing.

I created a domain account for domainB on the same server as domainA where opencart is installed. I then created a symlink for domainB public_html to domainA public_html as per the above and got a forbidden, you don't have permission to access... The symlink was working because I ftp'd to public_html on domainB and it was in fact domainA.
I thought well maybe both domains need to be created on the same account so I then created domainB via domainA's control panel using "add domain". I symlinked domainB's public_html to domainA's where opencart is installed.
I browse to domainB.com and get "Apache is functioning properly" page".
I browse to domainB.com/index.php and get a 403

Help is so greatly appreciated.

I've never done that so I'd appreciate some help. I understand the problem but not sure how to assign to that owner. I found this
chown -h user:group symlink

Not sure what to replace for "group", if anything, or symlink
Could you use the commands used in Arieh's example below to let me know.
rm -r /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html
ln -s /home/admin/domains/dominio1.it/public_html/ /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html

Is this considered the symlink?
/home/admin/domains/dominio1.it/public_html/ /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html

and does user:group remain user:group or do I signify something for group. Just don't want to guess-trial-error this time.

Thanks so much.

Run this

Code:
chown -h admin:admin /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html

or even this

Code:
chown -h admin:admin /home/admin/domains/*/public_html

Thanks. Makes perfect sense.

I was wondering for future. Is there a command that I can enter that will do that at the same time I create the symlink or would I create the symlink and then just run the command?

Last edited:
In this case use sudo, you might need to install it if you have not it yet.

Code:
rm -r /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html
sudo -u admin ln -s /home/admin/domains/dominio1.it/public_html/ /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html

or just login as admin via SSH.

You should change admin to real user name, if you create a link for another account.

So if I created a symlink from userB to userA the chown command would look like this?
chown -h userB:userA /home/admin/domains/*/public_html
chown -h userB:userA /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html
or
chown -h userB:userB /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html

chown -h userA:admin /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html
chown -h userB:admin /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html

domains have separate ip's, admin was creator (group ?)

I really do appreciate your help and realize I'm probably making this more complicated than it is but haven't found specific examples.

Last edited:
For security reasons, it's not allowed to do that, otherwise you'll get errors when trying to see a website; you can create symlinks only within one homedir, i.e. /home/userA and chown them to userA:userA.

So there's no way to have a SSL cert for each domain? Would a wildcart cert work?

[edit] Seems like a Multi-Domain SSL should work.

Last edited:
If all of sites are based on one domain, and you use something similar to userA.company.com, userB.company.com, userC.company.com, then you could add your wildcart cert as host SSL cert: /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/ and /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/

I guess here is a similar thread about certs and symlinks, unfortunately I've got no a link, so you might want to search the forums, or wait for somebody else's answer.

Note, if don't know how to settle it by yourself or you are short of time, please don't hesitate to hire someone of us here on forums.

I've manually installed certs but I don't think I'm going to need to. Been reading about multi domain certs that can handle different domains on one IP ex: domainA.com and domainB.com. There cost more but look like it'll work.

Back