DNS failover

guaro001

Gurus

I have a DNS server on a 192 subnet and I have another DNS server on a 10 subnet,my router permits traffic between subnet, I would like to make the 10 DNS server a secondary Dns server on my 192 subnet. would I would like to do is that every time there is a xxxx.mydomain.com the request go to 192 first and if not find in there go to secondary, is this the right setup for this, if not what do I have to do in order to accomplish this.

Thanks gurus

This is not something supported by directadmin. Try another website.

scsi

what do you mean , I came here for DNS question , before I posted my question I read a few other, even the description of the DNS subforum states the following

Any technical discussion relating to DNS (either at control panel or services level) should be posted here.

are you the moderator? if yes please excuse my posted and I guess I miss read.

thanks

While I'm no moderator either, I think I can answer. In rule, all forums in this board are ment for discussion in a relation to a DirectAdmin environment. The sub forums are created to keep things separate, while still all connected to DirectAdmin.

The only exception to this rule, would be Off Topic Discussion, but your topic wouldn't really fit there either. Once in a while there comes someone like you who mistakes this forum for a general support forum for the listed software used by DirectAdmin, and we ask kindly (well most of us :p) to seek another website.

"Any technical discussion relating to DNS (either at control panel or services level) should be posted here."

Means for example things you can control in the control panel, and at service level you have for example this thread http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40719 where someone adds a slave dns server to his directadmin environment.

Good luck with your problem.

I'm a moderator (or I play one on television; sometimes I'm not too sure which :)).

And I know the answer, so I'll give it here. But in general, it's a good idea to find a forum most closely related to what you're looking for. If I didn't know the answer, I'd probably look on the archives of the bind-users mailing list at isc.org.

I'm presuming you're using these servers as authoritative nameservers, because if you were using them as cacheing nameservers they'd pick up the records no matter where the authoritative records were located.

DNS doesn't use the concept of primary and secondary, though the terminology was used years ago. Now even the terminology has been deprecated in favor of master and slave.

If you read the RFCs you'll find that all DNS servers listed (in the root servers, found generally by checking whois) for a domain must be authoritative for the domain. They must actuall have an authoritative zone file for the domain. Masters get them because you've put them there, properly configured slaves get them by updating themselves from properly configured masters.

You can make the first nameserver authoritative for some domains, and be cacheing for all other domains, but if you do that, then the nameservers for the domains on the second server must be configured in the root to use only the second nameserver, and the domains on the first server must be configured in the root to use only the first nameserver. Depending on the TLD of the domain you may need to list a minimum of two nameservers, though some TLDs may allow you to list the same IP# for both servers. And cacheing servers will look up and cache results for all domains, not just the ones on your second server.

There may be a way to use forwarders to accomplish something similar; I'm not sure. One description of forwarders can be found here.

If your domains are all local domains, not part of any TLD, then you're on your own as to how to define your root servers; I don't manage local domains and I'd guess none of the rest of us do, either; we're almost all webhosting companies offering shared webhosting, always on public domains on the public Internet.

Jeff

Back