majrdomo attachments

elbarto

Verified User
Hi, guys?

Is it possible to enable attachments on Mailman lists created on a Directadmin server?

I've read about the disadvantages here, however I still would like to do it.

From what I've read here I think that I need to turn off content filtering, but I can't figure out how to do that on Directadmin.

Thanks!

I haven't been able to figure this out yet. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks!

Thanks for giving my seven-year-old post new life :).

My guess is that this is a Mailman issue and not a DirectAdmin issue. Mailman creates a management URL for each mailing list. The other link in your thread refers to the mailman URL,

Jeff

But is it possible to disable content filter on a mailman list created by DirectAdmin?
Or is it possible to access the Mailman URL for a specific list so that I can follow Mailman's instructions?

But is it possible to disable content filter on a mailman list created by DirectAdmin?
DirectAdmin doesn't care. How did the Mailman mailing list get set up? I've never seen DirectAdmin be able to set up a Mailman list. DirectAdmin shouldn't care.
Or is it possible to access the Mailman URL for a specific list so that I can follow Mailman's instructions?
I believe that's a Mailman issue. As far as I know Mailman creates the page and tells you the URL when you use it to create the list.

Did you create the list in DirectAdmin? How? Where?

If not, then this is not a question for DirectAdmin and shouldn't have anything to do with DirectAdmin.

Jeff

Did you create the list in DirectAdmin? How? Where?

I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. I've been confusing Mailman with Majordomo :eek:. I created a mailing list using Directadmin (thinking it was handled using Mailman).

The thing is I need this list that was created through DirectAdmin to be able to send emails with attachments. Is this possible? According to my client the emails with attachments are not being delivered.

Is this possible?

Yes, it's possible. If your emails with attachments are getting blocked, that means either their body is too long for Majordomo (read default system email box for the account) or total message size is too long for Exim (read exim logs).

In the first case update max allowed length on Majordomo page. In the second case update values in your /etc/exim.conf or/and in domain filter (directadmin page for email filtering).

Have you read the Majordomo List Owner Info file? Since DirectAdmin doesn't include it, I've put a sample copy here (nobaloney.net).

Note it doesn't discuss attachments. That's because Majordomo wasn't designed to handle attachments, and doesn't handle them well.

I've renamed your thread.

Jeff

We've been using majordomo mail lists and time from time have been sending messages with attachments (for last years). One issue came to our attention related to attachments, is that MaxLength should be as big as your doubled attachments' size (or something near to it).

zEitEr is right, I have been using majordomo for many years and we send attachments all the time, without problems. You do need to make sure your your MaxLength is set to something large enough to handle your desired attachment size. My personal list has it set to 20000000 lines (~10M), and we send many pictures, powerpoint and mpeg files around. I occasionally (1 or 2 times a year) get it bounced back due to lines being too long, but you can still approve those if needed.

They work well (at all) with digests, so if anyone subscribes to the digest, they will get the whole message but the attachments will not be available unless someone has a lot of time and cuts those lines out and un-decodes them back into the attachment.

Back