unable to write in php.ini

koslibpro

hey men,

i have to disable the safe mode in my php.ini file,so that i can run the installation of my cms(now provides the message "Please disable PHP Safe Mode to continue installation!").
so i go to the file manager and select the php folder,i open the php.ini file,i change the line needed and then when i click save as php.ini,it responds that i am unable to perform changes with this file.

Please help me,it's quite urgent...

thanks in advance

exactly it responds:

Unable to open /php/php.ini for writing

please guys help me:(

Hello,

Sounds like a permission issue to me. If it's urgent the SSH into the machine as root or super user and make a backup of the file and make your changes and the restart httpd. After check the permissions on the file.

Good luck.

Bill

Admin Level Login -> PHP Safe_Mode Configuration -> Find your domain from a list -> Check box in the line -> Click Disable Safe Mode.

If you have no Admin access, then you should contact your hosting support. But they probably won't disable Safe Mode for you.

Did you buy shared hosting? Or VPS? If the first, you should move to another hosting provider then.

I guess it's a shared hosting, as there about 132 domains hosted on that IP. Thus move to another hosting, you'd better.

ps. I've searched and I did not managed to find hosting name.

I've edited SeLLeRoNe's post to remove the link to ip.gr; there's no reason to help Google find the site :).

@koslibpro:

Most of us are hosting provides and at least some of us will disable Safe Mode for you. That said, it does make your site and to some extent the server somewhat insecure, and I can understand why any given hosting company would refuse to do it. You'd be better served discussing the issue with the provider of your CMS; perhaps a newer version of their product works with Safe Mode in effect.

If you're really hosting with a provider offering no support at all, then you would be better served by finding a company offering support. While we will always endeavor to help you if possible, it's usually not possible for us to help you at all because we neither have access to your server, nor any knowledge of the settings currently in use.

We presumed you owned a DirectAdmin-based server because you wrote in the Admin-Level Difficulties section of the forum. I've moved the thread as it's a User-Level issue.

Jeff

@Jeff,

Hmm, we do not use Safe Mode, and that's OK for us and our customers. And again it seems PHP6 won't support Safe Mode.

@koslibpro,

Jeff is right, and that's it.

Yes, zEitEr, Safe Mode was never a fix; just a workaround to the insecurities caused by running PHP as apache. Many of us no longer do that; we don't on most of our servers, and I should have made that clear in my post above about security.

Jeff

Back