Question re: size of /var partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

roarkh

Verified User
Hi everyone, I just finished installing DirectAdmin on a new server and have a question about my partition setup. I was under the impression that DirectAdmin saved emails in the /home partition but during installation I saw this message:
Code:
*** You have /var partition.  The databases, emails and logs will use this partition. *MAKE SURE* its adequately large (6 gig or larger)
If email is stored in /var then I definitely did not make mine large enough. Can anyone shed any light on what is actually stored in /var? In case it helps my disk is partitioned as follows:

/boot 500mb
swap 32gb (I have 16gb of physical ram in this server)
/tmp 5gb
/ 20gb
/var 20gb
/usr 20gb
/home ~450gb (the rest of the drive)

Thanks in advance.

swap 16GB would be enough, after 8GB Ram isnt that necessary have doubled in swap.

/var and /usr should be fine. Keep in mind that with imap setup the email are saved in /home folder, so, no worries about that

Regards

Thanks, that is what I thought but it makes me wonder what that message I saw during install is all about.

Edited to add: Oh, I just reread your post, so does that mean that imap messages are saved in /home but "new" messages are stored in /var? If that's the case I should be fine.

I also wondered about the 32gb for Swap, I think I'll leave that as it is it now since I have already completed the install.

Last edited:
Ive a 16GB RAM Server and use 8GB of Swap and till now ihas never been used more than 100MB :)

I mean if you use dovecot so mail are stored in /home, if you use old system (dnt remember the name of the old one) so mail are stored in /var

I suppose you using dovecot (suggested), so, the problem doesnt exist :)

Regards

Great, thanks again, I am using Dovecott so perhaps that message I received during install was something left over from previous versions of DirectAdmin.

For a less simple partition structure:

/boot 40 meg
swap 2 x memory
/tmp 1 Gig. Highly recommended to mount /tmp with noexec,nosuid in /etc/fstab
/ 6-10 Gig
/var 8-20 gig. Emails, logs and databases stored here on Redhat/CentOS/Fedora
/usr 5-12+ gig. DA data, source code, frontpage, mysql backups with custombuild option.
/home rest of drive. Roughly 80% for user data. Mount with nosuid in /etc/fstab if possible.

Feel free to modify these numbers as needed. Note, if you plan on installing dovecot (recommended), all email data is stored under /home and not /var, so adjust as needed. Also FreeBSD and Debian store mysql databases in /home/mysql/.

Regards

I had seen that and it was exactly why I was confused when I saw the message about /var during the install. It seemed contradictory to what I thought I already knew!

Recommended partitioning scheme for DA!

A recommended correct partitioning scheme for DirectAdmin is:

/boot = 1GB
swap = For < 2GB of RAM: 2 x RAM, for 2GB - 8GB of RAM: equal to the amount of RAM, for > 8GB of RAM: at least 4GB
/tmp = 2GB
/ = 10GB
/var = 20GB
/usr = 12GB
/home = Rest of drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back