Backscatter problem

morfargekko

Verified User
Hi, is there a way to let emails through to the reciepent even though the senders SMTP is listed at backscatter.org ?
I am running the latest DA with Exim 4.72 and SpamBlocker 4.1.

//Mats

Probably jlasman will give a more detailed and correct reply but here my opinion:

You should try to add in whitelist or the sender domain or the host in /etc/virtual

editing those files

whitelist_domains whitelist_from whitelist_hosts whitelist_hosts_ip whitelist_senders

Choose the one that you would prefer to use depending on what you wanna whitelist.

If this doesnt work i think, at least untill someone with more knowledge on this will reply, to disable backscatter.org from exim.conf file

Actually i dont know if rbl's are caleld before or after whitelist_* check so thats why im not totally sure, but, i think you should make a test very fast and easy.

Regards

Thanks for Your answer.

Exactly how do I disable backscatter.org from exim.conf file ?

//Mats

Hi, I don't se backscatterer.org in that position.
Does any other lists use backscatterer.org to prevent spam ?

I don't feel safe to try and error. :-(

//Mats

mmmh, dont know that... i dont have that neither..

Prolly someone who does know this will reply.

You should try remove one by one (and restart exim each time) for check which use that.

Regards

Thanks anyway SeLLeRoNe, then I'll have to try and then wait for someone to respond to this.

//Mats

We;'ve never used backscatterer.org blocklist. So the problem is porobably with your SpamAssassin settings, or it's listed in some other blocklist, which we do use.

You can whitelist in exim.conf by putting the IP# of the problem sever in the /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts_ip file. No restart or reload is necessary.

However this won't whitelist in SpamAssassin; you can do that from the SpamAssassin control panel for the domain the email is being sent to.

Nor will it block any automatic banning based on your firewall; that would need to be done in your firewall.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I thought it was a backscatterer problem because when I use http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx to test his sending mailserver backscatterer is the only place the server is listed in.

The tip about putting the sending servers IP in the /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts_ip file is useful and I will test that.

The senders domain is already in the SpamAssassin control panel for the domain in the correct form: *@domain.se

I don't realy understand what You mean by "Nor will it block any automatic banning based on your firewall; that would need to be done in your firewall." Could You please explain that part?

//Mats

It may very well be a backscatterer.org problem, though if it is, it's a setting in SpamAssassin and not in your exim.conf file. However, if so, then whitelisting in SpamAssassin should work. You can certainly check your exim rejectlog to see if exim is rejecting your email based on anything in exim.conf, and by examining your exim mainlog you should be able to figure out what else may be keeping you from getting your email.

You may find the sender's IP# is also in some other blocklist, which exim.conf may use as a blocklist.
I don't realy understand what You mean by "Nor will it block any automatic banning based on your firewall; that would need to be done in your firewall." Could You please explain that part?
Hard to explain because I have no idea how you're using a firewall, and if you have anything managing it in realtime to create dynamic blocking. Ask your server administrator what you use for firewalling.

Jeff

Back