Accidentally Delete

decke

Verified User
Hi,

I just accidentally delete the /usr/bin folder, because I want to remove the munin service, but somehow the /usr/bin folder also empty :(

This is the command I run: rm -rf /usr/bin/ munin*

Anyone know how to restore this? :(

regards,

Hello,

Copy it from another similar server with the same OS type and version. By the way what is your OS type and version?

Then you might need to recompile (re-install) some basic binaries with custombuild.

If you want i can do it for you, but it will cost you some money.

That's you kernel, but not OS Version.

# uname -a
# cat /etc/redhat-release
# cat /etc/debian_*

Hi,

[root@mars ~]# uname -a
Linux hosting.com 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 #1 SMP Thu May 7 10:35:59 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@mars ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.3 (Final)

Thank you in advance :)

[root@mars ~]# uname -a
Linux hosting.com 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 #1 SMP Thu May 7 10:35:59 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@mars ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.3 (Final)

So, since then you're on your own to find where to get binaries for your OS from. Note, I'm still ready to give you a commerce service to fix it.

First of all, it's unlikely your rm -rf command could have deleted the entire directory structure, unless someone had somehow created a circular link from inside the munin directory structure.

Second of all, you can probably copy the directory structure from a different dot-version of CentOS 5, and then run yum update afterwards to conform it to the latest version. I haven't tried it, though.

Third, this isn't going to be quick and easy, and it may end up being expensive. Or take zEitEr's offer, or hire someone else.

Jeff

First of all, it's unlikely your rm -rf command could have deleted the entire directory structure, unless someone had somehow created a circular link from inside the munin directory structure.

You did notice the space before 'munin' ?

I didn't. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Yet another reason to always try an ls first, and then if you get what you want, up-arrow and replace the ls with rm.

Jegg

Back