Provisioning IPs with WHMCS

afastqtech

Verified User
To Whit:
When using the WHMCS/DirectAdmin module, having server set up and provisioning user level accounts properly, we need to define a way to provision IP addresses for our customers. We could do this if we could provision a resller account, however it seems however we try to provision the resller package we cannot make it happen. We can login through WHMCS as different resellers (if manually provisoned) and create user accounts. But again we cannot provision the IPs for the individual user level accounts.

We've tried various "provision ip" settings and configurable oprions in WHMCS, but can't seem to be able to come up with anything that works.

Has anyone ever encountered these issues before and how did you overcome it? I cannot believe that this has not been addressed before but I cannot find an answer in either the WHMCs forums or the DirectAdmin forums.

Or, is there a way to provison, and or add IPs to the user accounts?

No, WHMCS is a billing control panel that has a DirectAdmin module for provisioning hosting accounts on DA servers. It works fine for provisioning user accounts, but will not provision reseller accounts. While a reseller account can be created with custom IP addresses, a user account can only be created BY a reseller account with a custom IP address. As in static IP. As in needed for such things as Certificates and the like. This is my 'predicament'!
If the WHMCS / DirectAdmin module could be configured to assign reseller accounts than it would do what I need.

And Yes, I realize this is the DirectAdmin forum and not the WHMCS forum, yet in this area someone may already have resolved this issue and be willing to assist me.

I hardly understand what you mean by "provisioning IP", without understanding I can't help you. Note I've never met this expression in relation to Directadmin. Anyway, if you don't like how WHMCS / DirectAdmin module works, you'd better visit WHMCS forums, or open a ticket with WHMCS developers and ask your question there.

My last guess would be, isn't it possible to create a reseller account through WHMCS with additional free IPs? And then assign these free IPs to accounts of end-users?

No, WHMCS will log in as the admin, but it will not pickup the "reseller" packages from Direct Admin. It will however log in as a "reseller" account and recognize the "user" packages. While I realize the WHMCS module is not administered here, nor developed, perhaps someone here can point me to a way to (in DirectAdmin) create a "user" account that has a static IP and the shared server IP available to it. Or simply the assigned static IP? I'm simply hoping that someone might have had this issue before and found a way around it.

Yes, I am also posting in the WHMCS forums.

And yes I have a ticket submitted to them, possibly delayed because of the holidays? Perhaps however, the answer would be if I can just establish a "user" account with a static ip assigned to it automatically from the reseller?

By "provisioning IP", I mean assigning an IP address at the time of creation, or "provisioning" the user account.

It can be done with Plesk, C-Panel, and Virtualmin, so I don't believe it to be a difficulty in DirectAdmin, and it may involve some custom scripting. Therfore I ask in the Scripting / API forum.

Smile, it's the holidays! ;-)

I'm a new user of WHMCS and have no enough experience with it, but I've been working with Directadmin since 2005 year. Correct me if I'm wrong please. WHMCS does not allow to manage and assign IPs to users created on Directadmin server?

Can't seem to get it to work. Won't create a reseller account on either of our directadmin servers, and of course the reseller has to assign the ip to the user account. I'm either missing a setting or missing something else, or theres something missing between my ears. I've another guy here in the shop who can't see a way to do it either, so it may be a customization thats needed, or a simple script.

The WHMCS DirectAdmin module wasn't written by DirectAdmin, but rather by WHMCS; I'd hope you'd get support for it from them.

Jeff

API = Application Programming Interface, as in interface BETWEEN WHMCS and DirectAdmin. However, lets assume that WHMCs is not involved at all. What I'm trying to find a workaround for is the provisioning of static IP accounts or some type of customization that might allow a reseller account to automatically assign an IP on the creation of a user account. As this is also the scripting forum, perhaps what I would need has been done by another before me.

I.E. if I login as reseller "bob", who has multiple ips assigned to his 'reseller account,' could I then assign a 'user package' that would automatically pull one of the reseller ips and assign it to a domain? Or is it possible that there might be some other work around that would not require manual intervention that I am not seeing, or that someone else may have already written the script for?

As stated before, I am posted in the WHMCS forum, with no response, and again in a ticket to WHMCS support, again with no response, most likely due to the holidays. Unfortunatly I am up against a deadline. Additionally, I like to share ideas and to be able to gleen from others experience. That was what I thought forums were for. Rest assured, that should a simple customization become available that will answer my question I will be happy to share it on both forums, so that, as time passes, someone else who needs a similiar solution will be able to find it.

I know a billing system (not WHMC), which has such an ability, and one can:

1. Create/add servers in the billing panel
2. Add manually IPs for every server in the billing panel
3. When creating a user account via the billing panel it's possible to assign to it as many IPs as there are free there.

As for your issue, I personally don't know, how to solve it on Directadmin side, as WHMCS using API should define what IP to use. Of course I can write for you a POST/PRE action script (if you hire me), but in this case too many unresolvable questions might came. If it's not implemented into Directadmin module for WHMCS I would suggest only re-writing the module. Of course we could make a deal and I could write it for you, but I'm not sure at least for now how much would it cost for you.

Fixed, thanks for your patience zEitEr!
WHMCSinstructions for the module:

Foraccount creation to work successfully with DirectAdmin, you must have yourpackages setup in your DirectAdmin control panel. Here is how to setup hostingproducts in WHMCS to work with your DirectAdmin server.

1. Setup the HostingPackage in WHMCS as normal (Setup > Products/Services > Add NewProduct/Service) entering a name, description, pricing and choosing theserver type "Directadmin"

2. Next, log into yourDirect Admin Server. Once logged in, click Manage User Packages.

3. You will then see alist of all your available packages. If you already have the package you aresetting up in WHMCS setup in DirectAdmin then you can just copy the name fromthe list. If not, you will need to create it. Once the package is added,remember the package name shown in the Package column.

4. Once you have thisname, then go back to your WHMCS Admin Area and on the Module Settings tab ofthe Product Setup enter this Package Name exactly as it appears on the list inDirectAdmin above.

What they leave out is that you must set the “Product Type”to “reseller” (which is a choice of WHMCS settings for all products). So whatwe have done is create a DA reseller package for instance called ecommerce. Bysetting the Product Type to Reseller, WHMCS will now see the resller package,so long as we login with an admin account. IPs can be assigned from the module andDA will pick them up from the IP pool.

We also have a ‘basic’ account. This is just a user accountthat is created under a specific reseller account. Because this does not needan IP it is not created as a reseller. However, in the WHMCS product setup wemust set the Product Type to “web hosting.”

This means you have to create 2 DirectAdmin logins for theserver. One as an admin, to create reseller accounts, and one as a specificreseller, to create user accounts. Each login must be in different servergroups to be able to apply to the different products.

Yes, this information came from WHMCS support, and yes it wasa simple WHMCS configuration setting, and not a DirectAdmin issue. But thanksfor letting me post it here anyway J

Back