Moving domains between users

MtK

Verified User
it'd be nice if the 'move domains' script (#268) would be available inside DA.

This would allow admins (without SSH access) to help clients move domains, but it'd also allow resellers to move domains from their account into their clients account (i.e if they were converted into resellers).

Note, you've got to move MySQL DB manually if any is used there by code of a web-site.

yes, I know, but that's a different discussion.

I'm not asking for anything new, simply take the existing script and make it accessible within DA (and no SSH).

Im sure theres a valid reason its not.
I strongly believe a reseller should be able to move domain between his clients. and you'll probably agree that not all resellers/admin have SSH access (they shouldn't have).

I'd love to hear the reason.

Actually i suppose is a nice request, as MtK says, usually (most of the case for me aswell), ssh access given to a reseller (most of the case not expert with linux) is a major risk.

Regards

Actually i suppose is a nice request, as MtK says, usually (most of the case for me aswell), ssh access given to a reseller (most of the case not expert with linux) is a major risk.

Regards
even if the reseller had access to SSH, he wouldn't have access to DA Scripts - I really hope that is the case... :S

Yes, i thot the same after posting but i was busy to edit it again, well, same result is giving ssh access to an admin have no knoledge on ssh aswell..

Enabling this feature from skin would be a "less work" for the server owner/admin, and, in fact, is a great advantage :)

Regards

I'd rather say it's risky a little bit, since PHP scripts and other files might contain private data, such as credentials for connection to a MySQL database and other. And if you do it manually from SSH, you are supposed to have enough knowledges to find such data and hide all passwords. This is my private opinion, and I know you may disagree this understanding.

So lets wait for what John has to say.

And if you do it manually from SSH, you are supposed to have enough knowledges...
well, you said it all.
no reason to have DA Features only available through SSH, and expect the average Reseller (or even admin) would have SSH knowledge. I'm only asking for a simple click inside DA to do the same action...

Yes, I said, in my opinion, which may differ from yours and John's, if an average Reseller move domain accidentally or for some purpose, he might give an opportunity to read private data as well as passwords to another user, without even knowing about it.

Any way, it's my opinion only, and I'm not going to argue with you, note I don't work for JBMC Software, and I'm not a decision maker either.

Last edited:
Yes, I said, in my opinion, which may differ from yours and John's, if an average Reseller move domain accidentally or for some purpose, he might give an opportunity to read private data as well as passwords to another user, without even knowing about it.

Any way, it's my opinion only, and I'm not going to argue with you, note I don't work for JBMC Software, and I'm not a decision maker either.
well, I'm not arguing either, I even agree about the private data "exposure", but this might also happen to an admin with SSH (since the script doesn't really prompt for confirmation or warns of any malicious action).

but that leads to the idea of actually limiting the reseller to being able to move domains only within his own clients, while the admin should have to option to move them 'away'.

Also, maybe a security tip should be in two way: admin/reseller have to manually put user1 user2 domain, and ofc a confirmation for the operation, so, if an admin/reseller make some problem... well.. he had couple of things to fit before start that action. :)

Regards

Feel free to write a plugin. You will be a billionaire!

Let's get one thing straight: all the arguments for or against giving resellers shell access notwithstanding, even with shell access, a reseller can't move domains between users under his control because he doesn't have su access, which would be required to reassign usernames or to change the files which keep track of them for DirectAdmin.

I don't know how easy this is; it couldn't just be done by giving access to the various scripts; the implementation would have to do a lot of checking to make sure the reseller has the rights to do what needs to be done before switching to su to actually make the changes.

Let's see what John thinks.

Jeff

Hello,

Like most features, some people want them, others do not. Everyone has their reasons.. they are opinions based on personal setups or experiences, etc.. it's not for us to decide which is right or wrong (sometimes).

In this case, it would be simplest to let the Admin decide what they want.

What I can do, is add a directadmin.conf option, off by default, that allows it to show up in the interface for Admins, or both Admins and Resellers depending on the setting.
It will call the script, as if run in ssh. It won't move databases, nothing different there.

Here is the versions entry, I hope it works for everyone:
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1318

John

Hello,

Like most features, some people want them, others do not. Everyone has their reasons.. they are opinions based on personal setups or experiences, etc.. it's not for us to decide which is right or wrong (sometimes).

In this case, it would be simplest to let the Admin decide what they want.

What I can do, is add a directadmin.conf option, off by default, that allows it to show up in the interface for Admins, or both Admins and Resellers depending on the setting.
It will call the script, as if run in ssh. It won't move databases, nothing different there.

Here is the versions entry, I hope it works for everyone:
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1318

John
Great input John.

I'd suggest starting with only the Admin Level (as v1), and maybe later add the Reseller Level. might make things easier...

how about adding the other scripts (like move_database)?

Back