[How-To] Exim + Dovecot + Sieve + Roundcube + ManageSieve

Thanks for your reply. Our TOS makes our site backup policy very clear. Unfortunately most people don't consider email to be part of their site. I'm working on making our TOS more clear now.

Jeff

Thanks. I just noticed that, but I also notice that both sieve and my kmail client use port 2000, so at least for the moment I'll stick with port 2000.

Another thing: even though I know it's not required, after creating config.inc.php I chowned it to webapps:webapps, since all other files in the three are so owned.

Moving along; will report when it works with both roundcube and with kmail.

Jeff

Roundcube can connect to the sieve. Moving but with one more question: is it required to use dovecot deliver for sieve to work?

Jeff

Created a filter per your example, but it didn't filter incoming email. So I'm going to try dovecot deliver to see if that makes things work.

Moving forward.

Jeff

I set up Dovecot Deliver and yes it works. I opened up port 2000 in my firewall, and yes it works from my local kmail client as well, but I'm probably going to disable it in kmail, and manage it completely from Roundcube, since Roundcube's interface is GUI driven, and kmail's interface is via programming; too easy to make mistakes, so I'll simply log into Roundcube to maintain the filters.

The only issue left for me is procedural: in the past I've had multiple email addresses and I've read them all using pop3, and further sorted using local filters. Now, to make it easier with sieve, I think I can use forwarders for everything except one main mailbox, then use forwarders for the other addresses. And use sieve to filter the emails directly into the folders in which I'd like to put them.

Thanks for a great addition to DirectAdmin!

Jeff

Bad News

Bad News. I've had to back off the changes to exim.conf (which of course means the Sieve doesn't work any longer).

Problem appears to be that email gets queued rather than delivered for all users who don't have a sieve filter in place. Broke email delivery for all except me on the server hosting my email.

Here's an example of the error code as shown in the log (email address munged for security):
Code:
2012-07-07 08:14:36 1SnWiS-0003GR-Hd failed to read delivery status for [email protected] from delivery subprocess

Replacing the exim.conf file with the original solves the problem but breaks the sieve filters.

Have you seen this problem? Any ideas as to a workaround? Perhaps a way to install a simple do-nothing sieve rule for every existing. Otherwise I'll move my own email to a vps because I want sieve to work.

Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks.

Jeff

Perhaps a way to install a simple do-nothing sieve rule for every existing.

If i'm not wrong to understand this question.

This is How to create default empty sieve rule
# mkdir /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/
# touch /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
# sievec /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
# chown mail:mail /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/* -R

in dovecot.conf
plugin {
sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
sieve_global_path = /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
sieve_dir = ~/sieve
sieve_global_dir = /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/global/
# quota = maildir
}

all user without sieve rules will also receive email as usual

reference : http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve/Dovecot

update
i commented quota = maildir that line just need if you want to display quota in rouncube and also i forgot last time when i setup that but maybe i get information from this thread http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34464&page=1

Last edited:
Thanks, hopefully this is the missing piece for me. Will this work for all uses, both current and those added later? It looks as if it will, but if you know with certainty, I'd like to know that.

Jeff

That's strange, im not facing that kind of problem.

Jeff, want me to send you my exim.conf version?
Certainly Andrea; I trust and appreciate your work :).

I didn't even know I had a problem until clients started calling me. I've been in the midst of building out a new CentOS6 box to host just my email until I'm finished testing, but I'm having problems with it, including getting RoundCube to work (already posted); now I should be able to keep email on the shared server.

Have you tried using Sieve to do forwarding to a different domain? It appears to be available, but I'm not sure if I'd want to use it.

Thanks!

Jeff

Nope, never tryed to forward email, just done some test with rules, but, users (or email i did not log into roundcube) had no issue with it.

Thats why sound strange to me actually and maybe you did edit exim.conf on wrong part (ok that sound not possible cause of you, but, murphy teach) :)

I did sent you the email with my exim.conf version (sb 4.1) working with sieve (well actualy i should had edit it on wrong part aswell and thats why im not facing issue).

Regards

I'll do a diff on mine vs yours and attempt to understand all the differences. And if I can I'll actually try with yours (in other words if it doesn't need too many changes; I use a testing version of exim.conf, ahead of my last published version.

Jeff

Okay, should i ask you for a report of diff? Just in case there are some case you think i need to improove/change for better performance/security/other

Thanks

Of course, butmost everything new in my test version is documented only with cryptic notes referring back to my extensive development notes, which I do not feel comfortable in releasing at this point.

The documentation will come only when the next version comes out from me.

I'm hoping it can be a version which will seamlessly integrate into DirectAdmin and staff can make it available from their site as official.

Jeff

Thanks, hopefully this is the missing piece for me. Will this work for all uses, both current and those added later? It looks as if it will, but if you know with certainty, I'd like to know that.

Jeff

Yes, it works for current users and new users

If i'm not wrong to understand this question.

in dovecot.conf

all user without sieve rules will also receive email as usual

reference : http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve/Dovecot

Thanks for your input.
I've got one question. Why do we might need to have
Code:
quota = maildir
there? I did not find mention of it on the page to which you gave the link, and even here http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota I did not find anything of the kind either.

Thanks for your input.
I've got one question. Why do we might need to have
Code:
quota = maildir
there? I did not find mention of it on the page to which you gave the link, and even here http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota I did not find anything of the kind either.

Thats for displaying email quota in roundcube so user can fast know when their email quota near reach the limit without check with login in directadmin.

Last edited:
Back