High ram on server with 2 practically not at all popular sites.

chmuri

Hi there. I have my personal DA server in cloud. Everything its all ok but i don't know why there are such a ram wasted for just nothing.
Code:
free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1024        865        158          0         23         77
-/+ buffers/cache:        764        259
Swap:            0          0          0
As you can see where are 2 sites that are less than 100 unique per month and what do i get for this? HIGH RAM value for nothing? How to reduce it? I have 2 databases that have aprox 2 megabytes each no ruby one wordpress with nothing on it and clam av deamon.

So you've got 259 free, thats not much - but then again so isn't 1GB total. All services that run will eat some memory, and clamav in specific is known for its appetite. On a box of mine clamd is number 2 memory user after mysql (yet only 1.6% :))

You can use this snippet to see exacly what processes are taking the most memory:

Code:
while read command percent rss; do if [[ "${command}" != "COMMAND" ]]; then rss="$(bc <<< "scale=2;${rss}/1024")"; fi; printf "%-26s%-8s%s\n" "${command}" "${percent}" "${rss}"; done < <(ps -A --sort -rss -o comm,pmem,rss | head -n 11)

I think that 764 is the actual number that indicates how much is in use.

I also have a VPS with 1GB memory I just thought of

Code:
[root@server ~]# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           986        920         66          0        220        387
-/+ buffers/cache:        312        674
Swap:         2047          7       2040

So I only have 312 in use. I don't have clamav running on it and there's almost no activity, but OP could still check processes to see which is taking how much memory.

I don't understand what's the problem since free output shows a bit over 100MB of memory usage. Everything else are buffers and cache which use all possible memory to speed up system and lower high latency memory access. You can use htop command to see actual memory usage by user apps.

Back