Domain pointers and unlocking a domain

lorelei

Hi,

I'm a bit confused with this c-panel set up and don't see a way to unlock a domain. I need to transfer the domain to another server.

Also, I edited the NS records for hosting a domain with another host. Is this all I need to edit in order for the site to function at the new host? I wanna keep the emails and the domain with the current host for the moment, until I can unlock the domain.

Thanks for any advise! :eek:

Thanks for your advise!

So I guess all I need to edit are the nameservers in order to switch hosts.

I would like to also transfer the domain to another host, but in the c-panel there is no option for managing domain locking. The domain has been locked by the current registrar, and I need to unlock it in order to transfer it to my own host.

I'm not sure why you need to unblock your domain, but to point it to a new server, you should either change IP in DNS zone of the domain, or change NS servers.

@lorelei:

It appears you're confusing your hosting server with your domain registrar. Your hosting provider may or may not be the same as your registrar, but in either case the DirectAdmin control panel doesn't manage your domain registration. If your registrar has locked your domain name, then you must solve that problem with your domain registrar. If your domain is pointed to your hosting company and you can manage DNS from inside your control panel you can edit all your records and use your current host to point to your new host, but if you stop paying them they'll probably shut off your service, and your DNS resolution will disappear.

Changing your NS records in your current zone will probably NOT have the desired effect.

The right way to do it would be to change your nameservers at your domain registrar if you can do so.

Then if you move your site to another host it won't matter.

Jeff

Back