PHP 5.4.4 and 5.3.14 released

ditto

Verified User
Today PHP 5.4.4 and PHP 5.3.14 was released http://www.php.net/

The PHP development team would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 5.4.4 and PHP 5.3.14. All users of PHP are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.4.4 or PHP 5.3.14.

The release fixes multiple security issues: A weakness in the DES implementation of crypt and a heap overflow issue in the phar extension

PHP 5.4.4 and PHP 5.3.14 fixes over 30 bugs. Please note that the use of php://fd streams is now restricted to the CLI SAPI

Both PHP 5.4.4 and 5.3.14 is already available in custombuild, but it could take some hours before it is in all mirrors.

EDIT: The compilation goes fine but it is the PHP binary that gives the invalid pointer errors.

There is something weird here, what I get is a non-stop compile loop that gives segmentation faults,
lost pointers and some other problems plus a backtrace. An excerpt:

/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-5.4.4/sapi/cli/php: free(): invalid pointer: 0xb7e9e60c ***
make[1]: *** [install-pear-installer] Segmentation fault
make: *** [install-pear] Error 2

Anybody else had similar problems?

Last edited:
I did not have any issue on update:

Code:
>php -v
PHP 5.3.14 (cli) (built: Jun 15 2012 09:20:06)
Copyright (c) 1997-2012 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2012 Zend Technologies
    with eAccelerator v0.9.6.1, Copyright (c) 2004-2010 eAccelerator, by eAccelerator
    with Zend Guard Loader v3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2010, by Zend Technologies
    with Suhosin v0.9.33, Copyright (c) 2007-2012, by SektionEins GmbH

You should try:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
rm -rf php*
./build update
./build php d
./build clean

Regards

Okay, found it.

The APC extension (that I thought I had already deactivated) was active and caused the crash. After adding a semicolon in the PHP.INI I could finally run scripts without segfaults.

It is a pity APC seems to have broken completely with several 5.4.x versions. Without it PHP is pretty lame in high-availability sites.

EDIT: Downloaded the latest stable version of APC (April), compiled, activated and no problems so far.

Markku

Last edited:
Back