Centos ipv6 howto if no neighbor gateway protocol is active on you network

Djunity

Verified User
Hi all,

If you are using ipv4 as default and also want to use ipv6 the default gateway is ipv4 as setup when you install your os.

In some cases (networks) you wont be able to get ipv6 to work in or case it was becouse the new network does not has the protocol neighbor gateway active.
Im not really a network engineer but to my understanding when you network supports neighbor gateway your ipv6 addresses will look for the gateway true the ipv4 gateway and will get routed (correct me if im wrong but this is what is been told te me).

So when your network does not support it ipv6 wont work becouse it has no gateway setup as you don't have an option in direct admin to add the gateway.

This small howto is to get ipv6 working its been tested on or site and working om multiple servers now. Even after directadmin restarts or server reboots it stays on working.

Open /etc/sysconfig/network file, enter:
# vi /etc/sysconfig/network

Append following lines:
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
IPV6_DEFAULTGW=YOUR IPV6 GATEWAY
Save and close the file.

In this howto i expect that eth0 is your first and primary network card.

Open /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (1st network config file)
# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Append following config directives for IPv6:
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6ADDR=YOUR FIRST IPV6 IP ADDRESS

You have to static add one ipv6 ip address else ipv6 wont find the route.

Save and close the file. Restart networking:
# service network restart

IMPORTANT: if you manually restart the network all ip adresses that are added true direct admin wont work after network restart.

Run:
/etc/init.d/startips
This will add all ips added true directadmin in your active network configuration.

Now add the ipv6 address that you manually added to you network config true the direct admin webinterface.

You only have to do these changes the first time, if you have this setup you can just add more ipv6 addresses true the direct admin webinterface and it will find the route.

If any mistakes in you opinion are made in this howto feel free to correct or contact me.

suggestions are also welcome, howto's for other os also welcome.

Back