CentOS 6.3 released!

ditto

Verified User
Update 7/8: The external mirros are starting to pick up the new release. The new content will be kept not accessable until enough mirrors have sync'd up. http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/135#comment-133

Shifting 10+ gbps (38 machines), seeding CentOS-6.3 to external mirrors. All the donors and sponsors who make this happen: You Rock. http://twitter.com/CentOS/status/222272534098354176

Edit: New update at http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/136

CentOS-6.3 Release sometime today (7/9)

The CentOS-6.3 tree is now syncing to the external mirrors. Our mirrorlist and isoredirect scripts are looking for external mirrors with content and some time within the next 12 or so hours, CentOS-6.3 will be released.

A big thanks to all involved, especially the QA team, for the work accomplished to get this release out.

Waiting for CentOS 6.3 release announcement http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2012-July/date.html

Last edited:
Centos update

I updated non-production enviroment and for now there is no problem. Recomended upgrade procedure is:

yum clean all
yum update glibc\*
yum update yum\* rpm\* python\*
yum clean all
yum update kernel\*
yum update
shutdown -r now

after reboot ./build all d

Hm. But I did not recompile anything in custombuild after upgrading from CentOS 6.0 to 6.1, also I did not recompile anything in custombuild after upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2, and there was never any problems after upgrade to the new CentOS versions.

So, is this only a special case regarding CentOS 6.3?

I will contact John and ask for clarification.

And also, why do you need to do this?:

Code:
yum clean all
yum update glibc\*
yum update yum\* rpm\* python\*
yum clean all
yum update kernel\*
yum update
shutdown -r now

Why can't you only do?:

Code:
yum update
reboot

Don't get me wrong, I am only trying to learn, and make sure my upgrades goes without trouble. Thank you for sharing. However, it is still not clear to me if the yum commands is needed like you has listed. Previous I have only run yum update. Also, maybe it is safer for me, because I have ALL existing upgrades until CentOS 6.3 already upgraded, I don't know. I have sent John a email, and hope he will reply to this thread.

@ditto,

I agree with your concerns, but the process makes sense when thinking about it, though I probably won't do a ./build all in CustomBuild; it takes too long for those of us maintaining lots of our servers, and it's generally not a problem with libraries.

However I would like to see John's comments, and I hope he replies here.

Jeff

Actually no, isnt that needed.

I did test on a test box upgrade and just reboot (more cause of new kernel) and all services are working fine.

The only one exception i did have was openssh cause i use to compile from source with latest openssl and openssh version provided from update.script (avaible on this forum), but, once recompiled just openssh again from update.script sshd worked fine as usual.

And definitely is not related to directadmin incompatibility.

Regards

I always as a matter of course update yum first in case there's something new in it which would affect what it would find when updating everything else. Always have. Probably always will. I respect your thoughts as well, but always like to hear what others think.

Jeff

I have now upgraded one of my servers from 6.2 to 6.3. I have not found any problems yet. I only did yum update and reboot. However I notice that CentOS has upgrade of pcre in yum, however I have pcre installed in custombuild - should I recompile pcre in custombuild, or should it be fine?

Unfortunately you may need to tell us. Check to see where custombuild says it get installed, and then look to see if yum has installed it in the same place or elsewhere. Then test.

Perhaps we should be removing pcre from yum before installing it from custombuild, but of course that may not be possible; it may break dependencies.

Maybe it should at least be in the exclude list in the yum configuration if it's installed through custombuild.

Hopefully you won't have any problems; if I were you I'd follow the diagnostics I mentioned above and get back to the forum to help others :).

Jeff

well I'll admit to being confused here :)
following topic closely now before I try LOL

would really like to see someone who runs apache 2.4.2 and php 5.4.4 reply to see if there are any issues upgrading.

Last edited:
@dmacleo, it should not matter what apache and php version your running, just upgrade to CentOS 6.3 and reboot (because there is new kernel). Just do "yum update" followed by a "reboot". I did on three servers without any trouble.

ugh reboot taking forever...10 min so far.
sigh

30 min now, send ticket to datacenter as I have no connections.

Last edited:
If it takes more then 15 minutes, I would contact the datacenter and ask them to look at it.

Back