Difficulty setting up user SSL. Message: IP not owned. IP is assigned to user.

EVO1

Verified User
Hello, I've searched the forum (and internet) and can't solve the problem I have. Can anyone help?

I have a VPS with DA in which I'm the sole admin, reseller and user. I've created one reseller under admin. Under reseller I've created one user (originally the user was created directly under the admin, but later I moved the user under the reseller). SSL is turned on in the packages.

The user (myself) is currently operating a website online. Now I want to set up a SLL. When I click SSL Certifcates in the user menu I get however a message: "You can only add a certificate if you own the ip you are using".

I have one fixed IP address which I assigned from in the admin menu to the reseller. In the reseller menu IP management I states that there are3 user on the one IP. When enter the "modify user" menu it says the user is (also) on the one IP. I thought I moved the one IP I have "down" from the admin to the reseller to the user, but apparently not. Is it possible to move the one IP I have to be owned by the user and be used for SSL? My VPS hoster says I is but I can't get it working! I guess I'm doing something wrong in assigning the IP to the user, but what? Is it staying "shared"?

I ran out of ideas! Anyone ideas?

Hello,

To assign an IP to a user, it should be marked as free on IP Management page at reseller level. Then only you can set it as owned, not shared.

Hello,

To assign an IP to a user, it should be marked as free on IP Management page at reseller level. Then only you can set it as owned, not shared.

Thank you for the answer. On reseller page (IP Management) the IP has status "server" with users "3" (I guess admin, reseller and user). How can I change the status to free?

You can not free the server IP, and can not assign it to your user either, you need an extra IP for that... or try to find a bypass with local IPs (192.168.ccc.ddd etc)

OK, then I'm going to buy an extra IP address at my provider. He says it should be possible with one IP but the extra costs don't outweigh the hours I already spent and will have to spend.

Another question: I accidentally clicked the "Clear NS" button on the IP Manager page in admin. I don't know what is does. What does it do and should I repair something?

OK, then I'm going to buy an extra IP address at my provider. He says it should be possible with one IP
It's possible with one IP#. It's easy if you're not using a control panel; you just install the Certificate with the common name matching the hostname you want. The Certificate might work (depending on configuration) with all domains on the server, but for the others with a bright red domain mismatch error issued by the local browser. It's been a long time since I've worked without a control panel; sure they create (sometimes artificial) limitations, but the time savings is usually worth it, especially if the extra IP# is easily available for a small amount per month.

With the DirectAdmin control panel it can still be done. The domain must be served from the user level of the admin login. It will need to be installed slightly differently (instructions on the DirectAdmin screens as you get to the difference) but it will work. But only for a single domain in the user level of the admin login.

Jeff

I purchased an extra IP. I assigned it to the user as owned. I didn't cost too much and I will save the time getting it to work on the server IP. Also I will need extra SSL's (and IP's) in the future so the server-IP solution will only last a short time.

Now I'm unsure the CSR process went right: see my other post in general tech.

Back