OneClickSSL for DirectAdmin (Simplify SSL provisioning with the dedicated plug-in!)

vanbroup

Verified User
Download Installation Guide

DirectAdmin users benefit from automated SSL reselling directly from their control panel

GlobalSign www.globalsign.com, one of the longest established Certification Authorities (CA) and leading providers of online security solutions, today announced that its OneClickSSL plug-in is now available for DirectAdmin's web hosting control panel. GlobalSign and DirectAdmin have joined forces to enable automated SSL Certificate application, issuance and installation directly from the DirectAdmin control panel, helping hosting companies activate SSL and secure websites quickly, easily and en masse.

The GlobalSign OneClickSSL plug-in is already available for Plesk, Microsoft IIS, cPanel, and ISPsystem. The latest plug-in for DirectAdmin was launched as part of GlobalSign's ongoing effort to ensure that SSL is easily accessible regardless of hosting infrastructure. The DirectAdmin control panel now enables easy activation of SSL by redeeming secure site vouchers at the end user level, or through remote activation via the Remote Administration Agent.

The OneClickSSL plug-in for DirectAdmin will help hosting companies to eliminate the support issues associated with the traditional tedious processes of using SSL, as users are simply required to enter their URL and voucher number in a user-friendly interface and click "Activate SSL". The plug-in automatically generates the cryptographic keys, validates control of the website and installs the issued Certificate with no involvement from the end user. As well as instant issuance of GlobalSign SSL Certificates, the plug-in offers multiple language availability, automatic monthly renewals, and a hassle-free update mechanism ensuring customers always benefit from the latest technology.

"Integrating GlobalSign's OneClickSSL technology allows our hosting customers to greatly simplify the whole SSL process, whilst fully delivering on our core strategy - to provide customers with a simplified user experience", says Mark, Owner, DirectAdmin. "We are pleased to make this innovative technology accessible via our platform to help hosting companies meet the increasing demand for SSL security."

"The launch of GlobalSign's OneClickSSL technology last year has revolutionised the way hosting companies resell SSL security", says Paul van Brouwershaven, EMEA Business Development Director for GMO GlobalSign Ltd. "SSL no longer needs to be confusing. We are delighted to be able to partner with industry experts such as DirectAdmin to provide streamlined workflows and increased efficiencies."

GlobalSign first introduced the OneClickSSL technology to the European hosting market a year ago. The revolutionary delivery mechanism allows SSL Certificates to be applied for, issued and installed at the click of a button, ensuring fast go-to-market and maximum ROI for SSL resellers.

For more information about GlobalSign's products and solutions visit www.globalsign.com. You can also download the OneClickSSL plug-in for DirectAdmin from www.globalsign.com or follow Twitter @globalsign.

GMO Internet Group
GMO Internet Group is one of the most comprehensive providers of industry-leading Internet services worldwide. As well as domain registration, web hosting, ecommerce, and payment processing businesses that each hold the top share in their respective markets in Japan, services operated by the group include Internet advertising, search engine marketing and research. Global online security brand GlobalSign and major Japanese online securities brokerage, GMO CLICK Securities are also group members. In 2011 a new Social Media & Smartphone Platform segment was established bringing together group initiatives in social apps development, flash marketing and Android apps distribution. GMO Internet, Inc. (TSE: 9449) is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. Please visit www.gmo.jp/en for more information.

I haven't been able to get their link above to work to get the plugin (tried with Chrome and Firefox); on both I get a link which leads me to a page for filling out my details, but clicking 'submit' on that page simply results in the button disappearing. But there's a working link on their twitter page.

I haven't tried the plugin yet; I'll let you know when I have.

Jeff

You can download the installation guide at:
https://www.globalsign.com/resources/oneclickssl/oneclickssl-directadmin-installation-guide.pdf

The plug-in download is available here:
http://www.globalsign.com/downloads/oneclickssl/directadmin/OneClickSSL.tar.gz

The source code of the plugin is hosted on github:
https://github.com/GlobalSign/OneClickSSL/tree/master/ext/DirectAdmin

If you want to test the plugin, use the free voucher: 5daytrialDV

Please let me know if you have any issues, suggestions or questions.

To me it look pretty nice. But, ive a question.

What if a hosting company want to "resell" as partner your certificates? Is that possible?

What i mean is, im an hosting company, one of my user click on "get one voucher" and buy from you, how do you will able to know which partner is "bringin you" the new customer?

Thanks

Regards

You can join the GlobalSign SSL Reseller Program here:
https://www.globalsign.com/partners/create-reseller-account.html

To request and sell the vouchers you can use your GlobalSign partner account, use one of the voucher request Plug-ins (WHMCS, HostBill, BILLmanager) or implement the
Voucher API (SOAP).

Plugins:
https://www.globalsign.com/ssl/oneclickssl/plugins-and-guides.html

API Manuals:
https://www.globalsign.com/partner-center/api-documentation-ssl.html

We also have Supervouchers that can be used by your sales or support team. For more information about Supervouchers please check this video:

The link "No Voucher? Get one here" link can be changed in the administrator plugin settings to your own billing platform.

Most of my business is service and sales to users of DirectAdmin. Therefore I've spoken to my rep at GlobalSign and I hope I will soon be selling vouchers as well, and at a competitive price. We expect to have a link where you can buy a voucher for instant access through your account with us.

In the meantime, remember that the plugin won't install a Certificate into the DirectAdmin interface running on port 2222, nor will it do multiple installations of the same Certificate. It's a great feature but it does have it's limitations.

Jeff

thanks for those info.

Jeff ok about the port 2222, not a big problem, but, what you mean about multiple install of same cert? Like add a *.domain.com to different .domain.com will not work?

Regards

You are right, the plugin can only automatically install the certificate on a single website (the site where you enter the voucher). Of course you can simply copy and paste the certificate to any other website you like but that's not a OneClickSSL experience :).

We have customers who used the PHP plugin or the SOAP API for this kind of solutions to make it work in an area with multiple reversed proxies and load balancers. But that's out of the scope of a default DirectAdmin installation.

Maybe we could add an advanced future that provides a drop down and gives you a multi selectbox to install the certificate to more then one website. My concern here is that this would not be a really user friendly solution, especially not if you have loads of websites under your account. (any other ideas?)

We have looked to provide a certificate installation for the control panel itself. The problem is that this functionality is not exposed in the DirectAdmin API and we are reticent with messing around in configuration files.

If you have an idea how we could do this safely please let me know as I would be happy to update the plugin with this functionality!

Please note that the plugin source is open source and you can find it on github:
https://github.com/GlobalSign/OneClickSSL/tree/master/ext/DirectAdmin

So if a customer have multiple website he cannot install first cert on first domain and continue with others?

regards

Your customer can install as many certificates as they want with OneClickSSL. They just go to the website and enter the voucher, everything else is done automatically by the plugin on as many sites as you like.

Each SSL certificate does also come with Unlimited Server Licenses. But if you want to install certificate A also on website or server B you will need to copy it from website A and paste it to B, like you would do if you install the certificates by hand.

This could happen when you use a wildcard certificate (*.domain.com) or certificate with subject alternative names but the names in that certificate are not linked to the same website.

*.domain.com
support.domain.com -> Website A
shop.domain.com -> Website B

The problem with this approach is that the private key associated with the certificate need to exists in multiple locations and the risk of exposure of the private key to an attacker becomes bigger. Read more about this topic: http://unmitigatedrisk.com/?p=127

In a normal setup you will just request and install two certificates, one on Website A (support.domain.com) and another on Website B (shop.domain.com). An other advantage from this more standard approach is that each certificate is associated to a single website. When you have to renew the certificate you only have to do this on a single website, and you don't have to figure out which websites are using the same certificate.

When using a wildcard certificate or a certificate with subject alternative names on a single website you don't have to copy anything or care about these issues.

Back