Yum update recommendations

paul-w

Verified User
I've a new Centos 6.1 x64 server running DA 1.41.1.

I realise from my old Centos 4 server running DA 1.35.1 that yum.conf excludes a large number of applications and naturally it's the same on the new server:

Code:
# grep exclude /etc/yum.conf
exclude=httpd* mysql* php* perl* apache* mod_* MySQL* *ftp* exim* sendmail* kernel* da_* caching_nameserver*

Question is whether it's recommended to run a yum update cron job? On my old server I have this:
Code:
# cat /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron
#!/bin/sh

if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/yum ]; then
	/usr/bin/yum -R 120 -e 0 -d 0 -y update yum
	/usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y shell /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum
fi
# cat /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum
update
ts run
exit

My new server has no cron jobs for yum. Given the number of exclusions is it worth the bother?

What is best practice here? I realise, of course, that many consider it dangerous to automatically update.

I autoupdate on a few systems and it works okay for me. But I have enough knoledge to fix things if they should go wrong; you should make sure you do, or hire someone on a standby basis, before allowing anything to update automatically.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. To be honest with all the exclusions I wonder if updating automatically will achieve much.

Also, is using yum the way DA was designed?

It'll do plenty :).

By default DirectAdmin doesn't update your core operating system; it updates the hosting stack. So yes, you still need yum to update thecore OS, and in fact once your Core OS is no longer updated by it's distributor you may have trouble updating through DirectAdmin or even from source, as you may no longer have up-to-date libraries.

Jeff

Back