migrating from hsphere, dns records???

edjones

Verified User
bear with me here. I know I'm asking a lot, but documentation shows how to set up. Not to migrate. So please let me know if this is correct:

Original nameservers for use with hsphere with "domain.com" were ns: *.*.*.88 and ns2: *.*.*.81

DA was assigned .20 & .246 ip addresses, so...
nameserver "domain.com" is now set up at registrar (godaddy.com), adding ns3 & 4. Currently it's this:

ns *.*.*.88
ns2 *.*.*.81
ns3 *.*.*.20
ns4 *.*.*.246

I got to IP Management on new server (admin cpanel): Add the two below: (actually .246 was added already. I simply added .20)

*.*.*.20 free admin 255.255.255.*
*.*.*.246 server 9 users 255.255.255.*

On reseller, IP config on new server (reseller cpanel): (Again, I added .20 myself)

*.*.*.20 free
*.*.*.246 server 9 users

Does this look correct? I really just want to make sure that everything is set up correctly since I'm having a lot of trouble with da right now.

Not to mention I think my own computer has been blacklisted somehow.

Also, assuming the above works, afterwards, if a site is to go to the NEW server, say client.com. On their REGISTRAR (godaddy),
they're at ns & ns2.domain.com. Do I ADD ns3 & 4 or do I CHANGE to ns3 & 4?

OK, first of all you should register your new hosts (ns3 and ns4) at godaddy.com (you can find How-To on their sire, I've done it recently, but I don't saved the link). At reseller level -> go to Nameservers ( Extra Feature) and make sure, you've got ns3 and ns4 at the bottom of your page as default for new accounts (Set the Nameservers that will be assigned to new users). Also make sure, ns3 and ns4 are resolving to the right IPs.

When you transfer/create a new account you will get DNS zone of the domain with new NS servers, and should then change them at registrar for the actual domain.

That's it. YOu might want to use intodns.com to see and check DNS settings.

It appears zEitEr didn't address your question about which nameservers to use. You should only list ns3 and ns4 for each domain unless you've changed the records on the old server to point the domain on the new server. Otherwise some hits will go to the old server and some to the new server and that's generally not what you want.

Jeff

Back