Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

umweagle

so for the last hour I've been fighting with this issue and I've finally caved and turned to the forums. In my googling, I've found people that have encoutered similar problems but none are quite the same as mine. I've installed and reinstalled mySQL server multiple times and I still cannot connect to it from my terminal. Everytime I try to get on it says:
Code:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

In alot of the forums it says to restart my server which ive attempted, but then i get this:

Code:
bod@bod-desktop:~$ /etc/init.d/mysql restart
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service mysql restart

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the stop(8) and then start(8) utilities,
e.g. stop mysql ; start mysql. The restart(8) utility is also available.
start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.114" (uid=1000 pid=26636 comm="start mysql ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init")

does anyone know how I can fix this. because its driving me crazy!!

Cause its not literally called hostname.err its whatever the hostname of your server is.

Code:
find /var/db -name \*.err

Back