use ftp account and fix name server

thatseoguy

Verified User
Hi,

I am brand new to DirectAdmin so I thank you in advance for your patience.

Ok so I need to change hosting provider for domain: web-success-marketing.com

What I did is:

got a vps
setup admin account
setup reseller account with package
setup user account

for the user, I did add a domain through Domain Setup, which went fine

I then created an ftp account.

Now, here's the thing: I tried accessing my ftp account through the ip address, ftp.ipaddress, ftp.domain.com, domain.com...

Now, it does make sense that the domains would not work as they are hosted / pointed towards the previous hosting provider.

Are-you confused yet? Anyway, I guess I probably have to change either pointer or name server for my ftp to work?

If so, I tried using my ip address and it didn't work. What else can I possibly use as the nameserver info I got does not make sense either (it's another domain hosted elsewhere).

I know this is a whole lot of questions but I have been spending lots of hours on this and really can't seem to figure it out. I can answer any SEO question you may have if this motivates you.

Thanks for your help!

Seb

Untill you not point DNS to your VPS of course ftp.domain would not work, but, use IP should work, so, there should be other problem... What error do you get when you try use IP? Connection refused? If yes should be a firewall problem, if you got wrong user/password check again data, also, you should log using admin/password (changing ofc the password) for log to main account.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Here's the error message I'm getting:

An FTP error occured - cannot make connection to host. No response from the server.

I did try active / passive, I'm not using proxies, Firewall was turned off and I'm using port: 2222 which is what my vps provider told me to use.

I'm confused as to what else to try?

*** ok, I managed to make it work flawlessly on filezilla with the same settings. What could possibly prevent it from working in DreamWeaver CS6?

Hi Andrea,

this worked like a charm! Thank you sooooooooooo much and have a wonderful weekend.

seb

Back