Default MX records and backup MX

dan

Verified User
So, I've just enabled dual-stack IPv6 on my system, and was wondering if there was a way of being able to do a couple of things;

1) update everyone's DNS zone files, somehow, automatically, to set the primary MX record to be that of the server's DNS name (where I've setup A and AAAA records accordingly, so that servers will try and communicate with IPv6 where enabled).
2) set this as a default value for all new domain names that get added later on.

As a side project, if anyone knows of a good method of communicating from DA to another server where I have a backup MX running (though I've had to manually update the MX records for those domain names which this second server is functioning as a backup for), I'd like to be able to offer this as standard for all domain names, which means I'd need DA to;
1) communication to the backup of a new domain name - a script there could update postfix's config accordingly, and
2) add the backup server's DNS name as a secondary MX record to each domain that gets added.

Any ideas of any methods that might already exist before I go about authoring my own?

Thanks!

Dan

Are you running DirectAdmin? I ask because DirectAdmin doesn't use Postfix, which you mention in your post.

Isn't #2 in each section basically the same? It should be if you're using either DirectAdmin's Multi Server Option or my Master2Slave DNS Replicator.

If using DirectAdmin you can make custom templates to configure any custom records in DNS zones.

Jeff

Yup, running DA. Only using postfix on the backup MX server though. DA's mail server's running exim. I'm just more familiar with postfix's config.

I fought long and hard with DNS replication - finally got it working using BIND's own zone transfer methods. I just have a script which transfers a list of zones to the slave, another one the other side which builds a named.conf.zones file, then it reloads BIND and BIND goes off does the AXFRs.

And yes, you're right. Re-reading my OP, #2 is the same thing in both. D'oh. Where are these DNS templates, and how would one apply new records in bulk to existing zones?

Templates are in:

Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/templates

be sure to create a custom subfolder and put the files you want to edit there.

For rewrite existing zones should be

Code:
echo "action=rewrite&value=named" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
/usr/local/directadmin/dataskq d

Regards

Last edited:
I fought long and hard with DNS replication - finally got it working using BIND's own zone transfer methods. I just have a script which transfers a list of zones to the slave, another one the other side which builds a named.conf.zones file, then it reloads BIND and BIND goes off does the AXFRs.
Which is what my Master2Slave DNS Replicator does, along with a few other features, such as looking for duplicates, managing adding of servers to slave, etc.

For more information on Master2Slave DNS Replicator, feel free to search these forums.

Jeff

Back