disable user to upload certain file format from file manager

van helsing

Verified User
Hello
I have a domain named xyz.com with a user say "ABC".I want to disable uploading of .exe files in public_html folder.
Please suggest me the way to make it user unable to upload *.exe file from file manager.

Hello,

Here you are:

PHP:
#!/usr/local/bin/php
<?

$command=getenv('command');
$action=getenv('action');

if ($command == "/CMD_FILE_MANAGER" && $action == "upload")
{
    foreach($_SERVER as $key => $val)
    {
        if(strpos($key,"file")===0)
        {
            $file=substr($val,0,-6);
            if (strpos($file,".exe")!==false){
                print "You seem to be uploading a file with forbidden extension <b>".htmlspecialchars($file)."</b>";
                exit(1);
            }
        }
    }
}
exit(0);

?>

You should add it into /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.sh

Code:
touch /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.sh
chmod 700 /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.sh

Note, the code could not be used in /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.sh if you have already there anything else.

This code relies only on filename, you are not protected if your user before uploading changes the filename, e.g.

from my.exe to my.tmp

and after uploading change the name back.

I presume the author disabled *.exe in proftpd.conf already, if not then a solution would be to use PathDenyFilter of ProFTPd.

PathDenyFilter is from proftpd. That part is already done.
I was asking solution for disabling file upload from file manager.
I am still working on that code only suggested by zEitEr but still getting some errors.

You can still upload a file and change the extension to .exe! Or use htaccess to handle .whatever like .exe files. Oh and yes, also disable .scr because these files are executables too.

Yes, it's still possible to do so. Even if not via FTP or Directadmin File Manager... an user might be able to set up a special PHP/Perl script for managing/uploading/downloading/sharing such files. And the files can be stored on HDD named randomly and without extensions, and still PHP script which gives files for downloading will rename it as it's needed.

So of course there is no 100% protection, but still we do not know the whole situation of the TS, so the answer was given directly upon the question.

There is some problem on applying this script in /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.sh as I already have script there for ip blocking.
What can be done using .htaccess?

What can be done using .htaccess?

Nothing...

There is some problem on applying this script in /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.sh as I already have script there for ip blocking.

Then you can put that code into

/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.php

Code:
touch /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.php
Code:
chmod 700 /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.php

and add this line

Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.php

into /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.sh

Following the same code I am getting this error:

all_pre.php: line 2: ?: No such file or directory
all_pre.php: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `'command''
all_pre.php: line 4: `$command=getenv('command');'

I guess you 've missed the very first line in the file:

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/php
<?

Maybe he should use:

php /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.php

in all_pre.sh file and remove the first line.. and maybe also use <?php instead of just <? cause should be denied in php.ini

Regards

After changing <? with <?php

Again same error:
all_pre.php: line 2: ?php: No such file or directory
all_pre.php: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `'command''
all_pre.php: line 4: `$command=getenv('command');'

Also added php /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_pre.php in all_pre.sh but getting same output

It means that the file is not executed by php binary (is not recognized as PHP script).

What you see with

Code:
whereis php
which php
?

the output of whereis php
php: /bin/php /usr/local/bin/php /usr/local/lib/php.ini /usr/local/lib/php /usr/local/php

which php
/usr/local/bin/php

OK, make sure, there is no single char in the very beginning of the file, no space, no tab, no anything else.
Your first char should be #, as the beginning of #!/usr/local/bin/php

Back