Your PHP MySQL library version 5.5.14 differs

jimmyk2

Verified User
I am playing around using an external mysql database server for DirectAdmin.

My DirectAdmin server is running centos 6.3 and my database server is running Debian Squeeze.

When I login to PHPMyAdmin the following message is displayed at the bottom of the web page:

"Your PHP MySQL library version 5.5.14 differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.63. This may cause unpredictable behavior."

I do not think this will look very confidence inspiring to anyone using PHPMyAdmin.

How serious might any issues be if I leave things as they are or what might my options be for resolving this issue?

I am not sure I would want to use a source install of mysql on an external server. If I purchased a second DA licence and used it just for an external Mysql server I suppose this would resolve the issue, but are there any more cost effective options?

Hello,

It would mean that your local server should contain all necessary libraries for the same version of MySQL as one that is installed on your remote server.

If to say in relation with Directadmin, then if you've got MySQL 5.1.63 running on a remote server, then the server with directadmin should have these rpms installed:

MySQL-client-5.1.63
MySQL-shared-5.1.63
MySQL-devel-5.1.63

So the versions must match. If they don't it may cause unpredictable behavior, as the warning says.

To solve the issue, you should either downgrade library version to 5.1.63, or upgrade MySQL server version to 5.5.14.

P.S. MySQL 5.5.28 is the latest in 5.5.x, and MySQL 5.1.65 is the latest in 5.1 branch.

I was thinking more of matching the external mysql server to the packages that DirectAdmin uses rather than downgrading the packages on the Directadmin server.

Do you think this message is related to the fact that the mysql database is running the 5.1 version of Mysql and the DirectAdmin is setup for the 5.5 version or would I have to try and match the extact point release to get rid of any potential issues?

For instance would I need to get the 5.5.14 relaease of the Mysql database on the external server or would any old 5.5.x relaease be acceptable?

I think I am probably going to have to look at switching to either centos 6 with the remi repo for mysql, or doing a binary install of Mysql on my current Debian server.

If DirectAdmin used distro packages instead of this custombuild stuff it would makes things much easier (for me anyway).

I have been having a look for a binary down load of mysql 5.5.14 on Mysql's website but the only download that seems to be available is 5.5.28. As far as I am aware I have directadmin up to date so I am now wondering why DirectAdmin has settled on using 5.5.14?

I have tested downgrading mysql and libmysql on the DA server just to see what would happen.

The message in PHPmyadmin has gone even thought the DA database client version is listed as libmysql 5.1.65 and the external database server is listed as 5.1.63-0+squeeze1. Maybe the versions just need to be at 5.1.x as opposed to an exact release match?

Another issue I have noticed is that I had previously disabled mysql in the options.conf file on the DA server (as I did not want mysql on the DA server) and as a result I think the custombuild cron might be missing any updates that are available for libmysql.

When mysql is disabled nothing gets updated as would be expected. However, if I disable mysql again I think I am not going to be notifed when an update to libmysql is available.

If I leave mysql-server install/enabled on the DA server, what might be most appropriate way of preventing mysql from taking any resources from the server, but also ensuring that any updates to libmysql/mysql get notified to me via the custombuild cron?

This is what I have done for the time being:
chkconfig mysqld off
service mysqld stop

Last edited:
Additionally you might want to

add a couple of lines into /etc/init.d/mysqld somewhere in the top of the file:

Code:
echo "Disabled in $0";
exit 0;

so it would look something like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Copyright Abandoned 1996 TCX DataKonsult AB & Monty Program KB & Detron HB
# This file is public domain and comes with NO WARRANTY of any kind

echo "Disabled in $0";
exit 0;

# MySQL daemon start/stop script.

It will prevent MySQL from starting...

And of course you should remove

Code:
mysqld=ON

from /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/services.status and restart Directadmin.

Back