One-way Multi-Server DNS setup

Ywa

Verified User
Hi everyone,

We currently have 3 machines which are all 3 linked together (NS1, NS2 and NS3) using the DirectAdmin multi-server setup.

We're planning adding a 4th machine, but how can we sync it's DNS records, without linking 4 machines to each-other?

I'd like to only enable multi-server on the 4th machine to sync with 1 other machine (which will sync it with the other 2 itself), and even that preferably one-way only.

Is this possible? If yes, how?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well you can just try it, link NS1 and NS4 and check if all record (including the one in NS2 and NS3) get synced.

Regards

Hi everyone,

We currently have 3 machines which are all 3 linked together (NS1, NS2 and NS3) using the DirectAdmin multi-server setup.

We're planning adding a 4th machine, but how can we sync it's DNS records, without linking 4 machines to each-other?

I'd like to only enable multi-server on the 4th machine to sync with 1 other machine (which will sync it with the other 2 itself), and even that preferably one-way only.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

No, as it is protection from infinite loops.

Well you can just try it, link NS1 and NS4 and check if all record (including the one in NS2 and NS3) get synced.
Unfortunately this doesn't work.

No, as it is protection from infinite loops.
Could you specifiy what you mean with infinite loops in this case?

If this isn't possible. How do you keep track of the DNS settings on (managed) dedicated servers which you rent? I mean.. it's not normal to setup 2 nameservers for every machine, is it?

Its completely pointless to setup more than one nameserver on the same network. Most people do it because they only have servers in one physical location.

Its completely pointless to setup more than one nameserver on the same network. Most people do it because they only have servers in one physical location.
Who said they are in the same network? I don't want to setup a fourth nameserver.

I'm just asking what's the best way to get the zone-files from a 4th server running DA over to the 3 main nameservers, without using the multi-server setup. But it seems I would need to move to PowerDNS for that to work properly.

Thanks anyways!

Why wouldnt you use multiserver if you have da? You really have no options except creating some custom scripts to do it after you add dns zones and make dns updates.

Why wouldnt you use multiserver if you have da? You really have no options except creating some custom scripts to do it after you add dns zones and make dns updates.
I don't feel like adding all 3 servers with passwords for managed dedicated servers (where customers have access to admin-level too). And I think everything stops working once you change one of the nameservers DirectAdmin admin password, although I haven't checked that yet.

You can use Master2Slave DNS Replicator (search these forums) but it's not as easy to install; it's still in beta, mainly because it doesn't match it's install instructions), and it's not as simple.

Jeff

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Simple on the forth server add the other 3 on the multi server setup page and then you can shutdown named on the 4th box.
We do it with about 8 servers and only running named on 2 servers works like a charm

Back