Roundcube 0.8.4 released

Arieh

Verified User
Dear Roundcube lovers,

We just published new packages for Roundcube webmail. This service
update mainly fixes the nasty bug which sneaked into the last 0.8.3
release. In addition to that, we also packed some more fixes into this
release, one of them a recently reported XSS vulnerability.

The buggy previous version makes the compose screen to randomly reload
itself which may result in a loss of the unsent message. So if you
already installed 0.8.3, please immediately update your installation
with this new version.

Download it from http://roundcube.net/download

We apologize for the inconvenience with the previous release!

Best,
Thomas

roundcube is buggy garbage and everything they release an update something else is broken

Roundcube is the very best webmail solution I have ever used, only one that is better is Gmail webmail itself (but you can't compare it, because Gmail is not available to install on your own servers). I don't agree it is buggy. It works perfectly fine in all browsers I have tested (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari), and Roundube are very active developing the software, and very quick to fix problems. Also my customers love Roundcube.

Last edited:
If anyone knows a better one I for one would be quite interested. Roundcube seems to be the best choice for this moment, but I do agree that they should be more careful with their releases.

Roundcube is pretty good as a webmail solution for basic, personal use. It's fast, user friendly and works well with Dovecot. It's not that great for advanced and professional use, especially with the rise of smartphones due to its lack of features like calendars, tasks, notes and sync options.

I and my clients who've tried it prefer Roundcube to Squirrelmail. I've found no easier-to-use client for setting up sieve rulew (server side filter rules for IMAP).

I'd like it better if there was a way to enable it to open emails, and to create new emails, in separate smaller windows, as you can do with squirrelmail and desktop clients. If there's a setting to enable it, and I've missed it, please let me know.

Thanks.

Jeff

Regarding Sieve, Horde comes with filters/rules which are saved into a sieve file. You can completely replace DA's vacation/spam/forwarders system by simply using the webmail, which is what most email users want I found.

Regarding Sieve, Horde comes with filters/rules which are saved into a sieve file.
I haven't compared Horde's implementation of Sieve with Roundcube's; it could be as good or better. In case anyone is confused, once you implement Sieve, whether with Horde, with Roundcube, or by any other means, all your imap clients, including local desktop, other email clients, even tablet and cellphone, will use it.
You can completely replace DA's vacation/spam/forwarders system by simply using the webmail, which is what most email users want I found.
I've found that many users don't want to use webmail, because then there's nothing they can do locally if their Internet connection is down. We prefer to give our clients good choice :).

I'd possibly choose Roundcube if it could open smaller, separate client windows, or possibly Horde, if it could do the same thing, for both incoming and outgoing emails; see my post, #8 above and let me know what you know.

Jeff

I've found that many users don't want to use webmail, because then there's nothing they can do locally if their Internet connection is down. We prefer to give our clients good choice .
True.
#1 Desktop
#2 Smartphone
#3 Webmail
End users never ever want to have to use DA to set up anything that has to do with email.

Here is the patch you need to apply in order to compose emails in a new window:
http://trac.roundcube.net/attachment/ticket/1485486/roundube-newwindow.diff
Unfortunately it's system wide and apparently the Roundcube team has failed to provide a better solution in 3 years.

Though I'd prefer per login preference, I think systemwide will work for us. I'll give it a try when I get the chance; hopefully tonight.

Jeff

Here is the patch you need to apply in order to compose emails in a new window:
http://trac.roundcube.net/attachment/ticket/1485486/roundube-newwindow.diff
Unfortunately it's system wide and apparently the Roundcube team has failed to provide a better solution in 3 years.
Your link is a reference to code old enough that I can't find anyplace to apply the diff.

The good news is that their bugtracking system says the fix (user selectable) is scheduled for 0.9-beta (only for compose; still no way to open email in new child window): see the bottom of this page (roundcube.net).

Jeff

Back