Suspicious stats folder found

tincboy

Verified User
I got a message like below from one of my servers,
What does it mean? I've checked that folder was a symbolic link to /usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/icon

"Subject: Suspicious stats folder found Today at 00:35
/home/xxx/domains/xxx/awstats/icon is a symbolic link. Ensure it's a directory.
/home/xxx/domains/xxx/awstats/icon is not a directory. Ensure it's a directory."

As long as the target, /usr/local/awst5ats/wwwroot/icon is a directory, that's what it's supposed to be.

Either you, another admin on your system, or a system update (perhaps an automated system update) has added a check for links outside of the users user-root. I wouldn't consider that paranoid. Hopefully if you've never received those messages before and don't want to receive them you can figure out where it's coming from, and turn the warnings off.

Jeff

Why should directadmin send this warning on daily cron only for this user while all the others have the same symbolic links their home folder ?

I've got some like that; others are owned by users. I don't remember ever getting any such messages; What software is sending the message? Is it DirectAdmin, or something you've installed?

Jeff

Joining a bit late into this thread, but I also get my nightly warning msg for a particular user.
Using DA of course,. nothing special that I'm aware with this user.

Subject: Suspicious stats folder found Today at 00:23
/home/username/domains/domainname.info/awstats/icon is a symbolic link. Ensure it's a directory.
/home/username/domains/domainname.info/awstats/icon is not a directory. Ensure it's a directory.

Looking in the suspected folder:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Dec 25 00:26 icon -> /usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/icon
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jan 17 00:23 index.html -> awstats.domainname.info.1301.html
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Nov 16 00:26 lang -> /usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/lang
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Nov 16 00:26 lib -> /usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/lib
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 Nov 16 00:26 plugins -> /usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/plugins

-Sup.

Have you compared with other users which don't give errors to see if they're et up correctly? Have you looked at files/folders/contents to see if the're correct but just in a different place with a link?

Jeff

The cause of the error was found:

My user used the subdomain mgnt to create a subdomain called icon.
That's what causing the error reported.
I'm not sure how to resolve this issue, but at least I know why the report of the warning is showing.
... and yes, the obvious is to drop the subdomain,. but that's defeating my client's needs and not really solving the problem.

The source of the problem was suggested by John of DA.

Thanks,

-Alon.

The cause of the error was found:

My user used the subdomain mgnt to create a subdomain called icon.
That's what causing the error reported.
I'm not sure how to resolve this issue, but at least I know why the report of the warning is showing.
... and yes, the obvious is to drop the subdomain,. but that's defeating my client's needs and not really solving the problem.

The source of the problem was suggested by John of DA.

Thanks,

-Alon.

I'm having the same issue, user has a subdomain/subfolder called icon

What did you do to fix this?

Back