Uninstall clamav

majdi33

Verified User
Hello,

How can I uninstall Clamav if I installed it using Custombuild ?

I haven't tried this (I don't want to uninstall my installations :)) but it may work and won't do any damage if it doesn't work:

First change to the clamav directory under custombuild.

Then as root, run:
Code:
make uninstall
Be sure to change your custombuild options.conf file so it won't get installed again.

Be sure to make changes to exim.conf so it won't be referenced.

Jeff

Last edited:
First change to the dovecot directory under custombuild.

Why dovecot? And if the user sees

Code:
Run "clean" every time: yes

when running

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build options

then this:

Code:
make uninstall

would not help much.

So even if the suggested by Jess way might help you, you might need to run this:

Code:
./build set clean no
./build set clamav yes
./build update
./build clamav

and only then try to

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.97.6/ && make uninstall

I also did not try to uninstall it.

Why dovecot?
Thanks for catching that; I changed my post and I hope the OP didn't delete his dovecot isntallation (though it's easy enough to reinstall it, I apologize for the error). I must really have been half asleep (or completely asleep) yesterday.
And if the user sees
Code:
when running
Code:
./build options
then this:
Code:
make uninstall
would not help much.

So even if the suggested by Jeff way might help you, you might need to run this:
Code:
./build set clean no
./build set clamav yes
./build update
./build clamav
and only then try to
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.97.6/ && make uninstall
I'm not sure how much of this is necessary if you're simply uninstalling a program already installed, but it certanly won't hurt.

And of course it's necessary to fix the options.conf file (either manually or with custombuild commands) to set clamav so it won't be installed again, and then tell custombuild you've made the changes.

I really must have been asleep yesterday. Really.

Jeff

Note, if you see

that would mean that after you build a software with custombuild, a directory of extracted sources would be deleted. That's why it should be fixed.

Jeff, please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't we need Makefile (which gets created on ./configure) to run

Code:
make uninstall

in a directory with sources and get a software removed?

My understanding is that the Makefile should be in CustomBuild's ClamAV directory; that the .build command (which runs make) should put it there.

If it doesn't, then that won't work. If custombuild doesn't install ClamAV with a standard make command, then you're right; it won't work.

But I believe I'm right; I found the Makefile at least once in looking at systems recently:
Code:
# ls -al /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.97.6/Makefile
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 34374 Oct 20 20:58 /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.97.6/Makefile
#
Jeff

OK, Jeff to be clear.

If you've got clean=yes in options.conf. Then the source directory with Makefile will be removed as soon as you finish installation of ClamAV. So that's why I wrote the all things above. To be able to remove clamav in this case you'll need to disable "cleaning" every time (by custombuild) and re-build clamav to get Makefile created.

Thanks for the clarification, zEitEr. I don't use clean=yes so I forgot about it. I prefer to leave the directories and tarballs around in case I need to look at something; I delete them only when I need the space.

Jeff

Back