MariaDB will replace MySQL in Fedora 19

ditto

Verified User
MariaDB, a community developed fork of MySQL, will be the default implementation of MySQL in Fedora 19. Read more here https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReplaceMySQLwithMariaDB

MariaDB is a fork of the MySQL database project that provides a drop-in replacement for MySQL. It preserves API/ABI compatibility with MySQL and adds some new features.

The original company behind MySQL, MySQL AB, were bought out by Sun which was then bought by Oracle. Recent changes made by Oracle indicate they are moving the MySQL project to be more closed. They are no longer publishing any useful information about security issues (CVEs), and they are not providing complete regression tests any more, and a very large fraction of the mysql bug database is now not public.

MariaDB, which was founded by some of the original MySQL developers, has a more open-source attitude and an active community. We have found them to be much easier to work with, especially in regards to security matters.

We would like to replace MySQL with MariaDB in early development cycle for Fedora 19. MySQL will continue to be available for at least one release, but MariaDB will become the default. Also, we do not intend to support concurrent installation of both packages on the same machine; pick one or the other.

I think that this is only the first step, next we will see that MariaDB will be replaced in RedHat too (and then it would of course happen in CentOS too). In time, I think therfor DirectAdmin should support both MySQL and MariaDB. Here is a old poll about it: http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=35164

Agree that DirectAdmin should start to support MariaDB. Shouldn't be difficult since it is drop in replacement from what I heard.

We will continue to monitor the development of this issue.
A decision will be made if/when required.
For now, it will be MySQL as usual.

John

In spite of all the issues, I prefer to continue with MySQL. My reasoning is that in our list of features we need to show MySQL as included; not enough hosting clients know yet about the issues and about the availability of MariaDB.

Perhaps we should call the TV networks and start a publicity campaign :D.

Jeff

Maria/Percona is drop-in replacement, you don't need talk with your customers about it ;)

That's true, you don't. But you probably (if you want to sell anything but the lowest end hosting) need to advertise that you've goit a database, and these days, the one that most people recognize as the one to look for, is MySQL. And the name is owned by Oracle; you certainly can't legally use it if you're using any replacement drop-in or otherwise.

Simply, what happens to my sales if I advertise database included or sql database included or even MariaDB included instead of MySQL included?

Jeff

- Ofcourse that you CAN ;) I'm not so sure about legal side - but even when you have right, you can always have one instance of mysql somewhere in company ;)

- Every company which I know with Percona/Maria have on websites "MySQL", me too.

- In last month the biggest (nr. 1 on local market) hosting company in Poland -> home.pl changed MySQL to Percona.

- cPanel considering support for Maria/Percona

- sooner or later, more companies will start to migrate from MySQL.

Maybe you can. I have no idea what EU law allows. I'm not an attorney and I take no stance on the legality of using the name because you have one copy of it somewhere on one server. However I'd never advertise MySQL and then supply MariaDB instead; it seems a bit misleading to me, and in my layman's opinion it seems a bit fraudulent (bait and switch?) to me.

There's no reason why I couldn't considering offering it as an option, but if you can't run them both on the same server at the same time that would require sorting where to host your users based on which database they prefer; another level of record-keeping.

Jeff

I much prefer standard MySQL. Typically because I prefer the most current software and all Percona & MariaDB is an after release of MySQL. And while they maybe optimized over standard MySQL, they typically hold the issues of the past version longer because they don't update in real time with the current MySQL.

With that said, I'm not opposed to the idea of offering alternatives in Direct Admin. Although if there was an alternative, I'd like to see Percona as an alternative. Personally speaking I've found MariaDB to slower or problematic.

Back