DirectAdmin Amazon S3 Backup Support

sohaib

Verified User
When DA will add support to add Amazon S3 backup so we can easily transfer backup to Amazon S3 ? I have see that feature in Virtualmin but its missing from DA , I didnt see any major feature in DA since I bought it which is like 8 years or more now.

Hello,

What is wrong with the current backup? Doesn't it work with Amazon S3?

I did write a script that take backups and upload to s3 using s3cmd software (google for that).

With that little command should not be that hard implement your backups to get uploaded to S3.

Regards

Never used Amazon S3. What is special with that?

Here (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/faqs/#What_is_Amazon_S3) I found that

Amazon S3 provides a simple web services interface that you can use to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web. Using this web service, developers can easily build applications that make use of Internet storage.

So they don't give FTP/sFTP/SSH access, do they?

No, they provide a store that they called boquet and can be used just with that s3cmd command as far i was able to see, didnt investigate that much cause that script did the job perfectly

Regards

Here you go - I came up with this and setup HOW TO for Backup and MYSQL

http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=45606

It would be really nice if the back up options were improved, but I understand that server admins seem to love rsync and those types of tools. It took me a few weeks to get things the way I wanted to run, but I got my setup to run nicely using rclone, I now love rclone:

1. I setup a dedicated folder for all backups under root.
  2. Run a cron to clear files that are older than a few hours.
  3. I have a shell script to tar.gz and password protect the root folder, excluding certain folders that don't need to be touched.
  4. I run rclone and backup the tar.gz into DropBox. For $99 on DropBox you get 1 TB of space, and 30 days of versioning if needed.
  5. I then run rclone again into OneDrive.

Those services can then sync to other machines if needed. DropBox owns their boxes, and I assume OneDrive also owns their boxes, which is nice.

Back