EXIM - trying to set up email addresses at subdomain.domain.com - fails!

locateMe

Verified User
I am trying to set up email accounts on Directadmin.

The email mailbox is [email protected] but I need it to 'capture' the old [email protected]

I have created a DNS A record to point at the server IP for the subdomain

Subdomain A 1.2.3.4

However, when I send email to the email address I get this in the Exim Mainlog

2013-03-03 11:21:44 H=ns1.server.com (x.y.com) [61.222.134.9] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: authentication required

This is when it RECEIVES email, nothing to do with sending :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated in how to set up Exim to handle this.

Steve

That thread talks about using a remote mailserver - I want to use the mailserver that is set up on this server.

Am I missing something?

Steve

OK, I might misunderstand you. Correct me please if I'm wrong.

So you want to receive email for [email protected] in [email protected]. If so, then you should add subdomain.domain.com as an alias to domain.com.

If you want to host mail server for subdomain.domain.com on an external host, then you should add subdomain.domain.com as a regular domain and uncheck "Local MailServer".

"So you want to receive email for [email protected] in [email protected]. If so, then you should add subdomain.domain.com as an alias to domain.com."

YES ;)

OK, I am probably sounding very stupid LOL - I tried creating a subdomain but that's just for web hosting, so where do I set up an 'Alias'?

Yes I was being an idiot - added it as a domain alias and everything is now working

Million+1 thanks!

Steve

Last edited:
Back