How do I install multiple SSl certs in the same DA account?

mrzippy

Verified User
Hello,

I am trying to install multiple SSL certificates, but am having trouble. Therefore I have a few questions.

1) Do I need a unique IP for each hostname I want to secure?

ie: I have a cert for:

secure.mydomain.com
billing.mydomain.com

Do I need a unique IP for each of those?

The reason I ask, is because it seems like when I install the two certs using DA.. one "overwrites" the other. So if I install the secure.mydomain.com cert, then the cert for billing.mydomain.com starts given a browser error saying that the cert is for the wrong domain. (And it says that the domain it is for is secure.mydomain.com.) So it seems like the last cert I install is overwriting any other cert that is installed.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

You must have a separate IP# for each site you need to secure. Which means of course they cannot be owned by the same site user. And though they can look like subdomains (as yours do), they must be primary domains under a site user.

It's not a limitation of DA; it's a limitation of the https protocol; since the packets are encrypted when they get to the server, http cannot read the headers to see which cert to use; it has to depend on IP#.

Jeff

OK, so just so I understand... (I'm a newbie to DA, etc..)

I have a primary domain in DA called "mydomain.com".

I want to use an ssl cert for:

helpdesk.mydomain.com
billing.mydomain.com

So this means that I would need to assign an IP address to each of these subdomains?

Is that right?

Or would I need to create an actual completely new DA account for each of them? Could I use the "mutliple domain" feature of DA and just move them each as a seperate domain "under" my primary (mydomain.com) DA account and then assign an IP to each of them?

Thanks! Sorry for the newbie question.. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how to proceed.

mrzippy said:
I have a primary domain in DA called "mydomain.com".

I want to use an ssl cert for:

helpdesk.mydomain.com
billing.mydomain.com
Do you want to use the same cert for both? Or two separate certs? If you want to use the same cert for both you'll need to buy a wildcart cert for your domain, which I doubt is really mydomain.com, as that domain is owned by NamesDirect.
So this means that I would need to assign an IP address to each of these subdomains?

Is that right?
It means you'd have to do that if you could. But you can't as long as you set them up as subdomains, as DA doesn't allow multiple IP#s to be assigned to the same user.
Or would I need to create an actual completely new DA account for each of them?
Yes, this is what you'll need to do.
Could I use the "mutliple domain" feature of DA and just move them each as a seperate domain "under" my primary (mydomain.com) DA account and then assign an IP to each of them?
I don't believe DA allows this.

Jeff

Back