Remove user from blacklist via DA?

Richard G

Verified User
We had today a nice block.
A user's ip was not only blocked by the firewall but also by Directadmin itself. That was a good job, he tried way to much to login with the wrong credentials.

The IP block is described here:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=306

But is there no way, or can't there be something easily made, to be able to remove those blacklisted ip's from Directadmin again?
You have to edit:
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip_blacklist
to remove the ip.
However, to do that you have to login via SSH and edit the file as root, because it's written as root:root which is strange, ísn't it? Or do I have something wrong.

Anyway, it would be nicer if the user could be removed from DA itself, without the need to login via SSH.
Is that possible? Or can this be made possible an easy way?

There should be a file editor in admin level and you can add the files you want to edit there.

I don't think so:
Richard G said:
However, to do that you have to login via SSH and edit the file as root, because it's written as root:root which is strange, ísn't it?
Unless there is a way to let directadmin make the file with diradmin:diradmin owner rights.

Actually that blacklist file is listed in /CMD_ADMIN_FILE_EDITOR

I didn't know it either because I don't use it.

Correct it is in there. But you can't save your changes if it's made root:root when created.
I think I will just make one myself with the correct owner (diradmin), if everthing is ok then I should be able to edit it if an ip gets in there again (happens almost never).
But I'm wondering why it was created root:root, or i must have deleted it and recreated it myself in the past and forgot to chown it again, I don't remember.

I only use it to blacklist DA panel bruteforces which are done regularly.

Consider it fixed.:)
If it will happen again in the future I can always bump this topic if necessary.

No I've got it root:root as well. But I can also edit the file in DA. DA can do pretty much everything on the system I believe.

Ah great, I did not know that. I always thought that root was root and nobody else could edit and save files them.

That's great, then there is no problem at all. Thank you! I will tell my collegue, he had tried the editor.
I just removed is via SSH.

Back