Anyone run DirectAdmin on top of OpenStack Cloud?

ccto

Verified User
Hello All,

As the "Cloud" is more and more common, do you run DA on top of OpenStack (or redhat RDO) ?

I mean what are the added values for hosting provider or end-user, if we build a private cloud with OpenStack and move the current dedicated server into the private cloud ?

Can anyone share your experience / advantages / disadvantages ?

I only know OpenStack has 3x+ data redundancy, better than RAID.

Thank you very much for your sharing.

Regards
George

Last edited:
hello, we use actually DA on cloud server infrastructure managed by openstack. everything works very well. no problem.
added values ? better redundancy for our db, move on cloud db infrastructure and easily for us when we will need a load balancer and another cloud server to divide the charge between requests of all users.

have a great day,

I would strongly advise against running an application like Directadmin on a cloud like openstack.
Directadmin is developed with a single server in mind, and it is not designed for failure / multiple server
typologies. You will have to treat your servers as components that can be destroyed any moment, and rebuild
on another. It also means running stateless on multiple servers and distribute every data reads/writes on multiple
servers yourself.

Do not run a singular application like directadmin on a cloud like openstack, it will break and not failover automagically.
It cannot replicate your changes to another server out of the box.

If you really want to, you should design a server cluster and shared storage (Objectstorage, Database) for your
application, and go with that.

Apologies for reviving this old thread with new questions
@ccto @sdp @RockyOnline

Does DA work with OpenStack better now?
Is ProxMox better suited to mitigate what @RockyOnline outlined as issues?

Thx
It works with LAN settings.
But for the cloud pro's as failover, orchestration and so on i don't know ( i don't think so). ( you can make images, snapshots, attach volumes or (docker) containers) https://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/orchestration.html
So depends on what you run on it and how you want.

IP (s) and also then license IP , and the LAN DA config are the first things to take care of and hmm. With that you have some less....

DA is not for that, but there are some pro's compare to some normal Hosters with VPS.
You have yourself if own license more control over some things as extra IP's , set aside a live box to have a rest , and your own volumes, at some even backups of volumes in other datacenters.
So depend on the VPS hoster yes or no openstack does have some pro's

Oyea you can have in that structure your own "local" lan setup between servers.
Don't know custombuild yes or no, depends what you need i guess.

But not in the way that cloud was made for.

I am no expert but (played) with it.
Oyea with external DNS serviceprovider, didn't find out how to solve some things of DNS with DA in LAN config ! (Longer time ago, but was to much manual ..)
Also didn't test the newer DNS external Future script of DA.

So hope some could tell how that ( letsencrypt) script is working if you make no use of DNS in DA and with LAN SETTINGS / SETUP in DA, for Letsencrypt, ccna, DKIM, DNSsec and so on.??

Last edited:
Reactions: ai8
Thank you @ikkeben
Not sure how to do the cloud setup from what you wrote, but re the CloudFlare DNS, there is now a feature for it in DA.

Thx @bdacus01
feel free to shift my posts and replies to more suitable threads.

feel free to shift my posts and replies to more suitable threads.
I cant I am not an admin. I am just offering you guidance for the future.

Back