Debian 7

64-bit is in testing, no major issues so far.
You're welcome to try it out, code name
StarTAC 7.0 64-bit

We recommend using the default settings with CustomBuild 2.0, although 1.2 should in theory still work fine.

John

Any details on where to find / how to use this package during install to test it ?
Still no answers on license upgrade... client id : 12789...

Hello,

Yes, you can change the OS set in the license at any time.
Honestly, the Deb 6 binaries are probably going run fine on Debian 7, or vice versa (aside from the libmysqlclient.so issue, which can be worked around)

As for the install pack, it's best to install it fresh, (select the OS in the license)

but if you already have DA installed on Debian 7, with the Debian 6 binaries, you can find the Debian 7 64-bit binaries by going to the pre-release guide:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=408

and just swap out the part of the path that says:
packed_debian60_64.tar.gz

with:
packed_debian70_64.tar.gz

Do not post the URL here.

As mentioned above, the OS can also be swapped in the license.
Just send us an email with your license ID number if you'd like to swap the license OS and we can do so for you.
Once the license is set, you can grab the binaries manually with this method:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29

John

Hello,

Yes, you can change the OS set in the license at any time.
Honestly, the Deb 6 binaries are probably going run fine on Debian 7, or vice versa (aside from the libmysqlclient.so issue, which can be worked around)

John

On a fresh debian 7 box, things are not going so clear with the debian 6 binaries, I had to install several packages manually : openssl-dev for example (i'll refind the list). And i faced license problems to finish with my client ID (hey i bought the deb 6 license though)
I've sent a mail to support with a testing license demand... But if you want me to test on the ready to go preproduction box, can you update the debian 6 license i have...

We're still on tests, no risk on this account...

==========================
EDIT :

Just gone through procedure given : Fails on update ./scripts/update.sh

Stopping DA-PopB4Smtp:
Starting DA-PopB4Smtp:
Can't open /etc/exim.conf: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type.

Remembering now that install with debian6 binaries failed also on exim install and Apt Packages dependencies error throwing... Searching logs

Last edited:
Ok after numerous tests around cloud IAAS/PAAS configurations, launched at last a full test install of Debian 7 Directadmin...

First install went through correctly apparently :

PHP:
# REPORT_START
options.conf exists, not installing the httpd.conf. Relying on custombuild.
*** Unable to backup /etc/proftpd.conf to /etc/proftpd.conf.back : Unable to open /etc/proftpd.conf for reading<br>

Install of /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/proftpd.conf to /etc/proftpd.conf successfull
Install of /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/directadmin.conf to /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf successfull
directory /usr/local/directadmin/data created
directory ./data/admin created
directory /usr/local/directadmin/data/tickets created
directory ./data/users created
directory /home/tmp created
directory /usr/local/directadmin/data/sessions created
directory /etc/virtual created
directory /var/spool/virtual created
directory ./data/admin/ips created
directory ./data/admin/packages created
file ./data/admin/packages.list created
ip.list written successfully
./data/admin/login.hist written successfully
./data/admin/next_ticket.number written correctly
./data/admin/services.status written successfully
tickets.list written successfully
Admin user created
## INSTALL_COMPLETE
## ACCOUNT_INFO
The following information has been set:

To login now, follow this link:

http://*:2222

and enter your Admin username and password when prompted.

You should now visit http://admin.site-helper.com and http://www.directadmin.com/newinstall.html to learn how to get started.

Thank you for using DirectAdmin.  Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected]

## REPORT_END

Yet in reality :
dovecot Process is stopped 0 B Start Stop Restart
exim Process is stopped 0 B Start Stop Restart Reload
mysqld Process is stopped 0 B Start Stop
nginx Process is stopped 0 B Start Stop Restart Reload
proftpd Process is stopped 0 B Start Stop Restart

And if i try to start them :
Cannot find the script /etc/init.d/exim (for example)

I have this error when launching a custombuild ./build all d :
PHP:
gcc exim_dbmbuild.c
as: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libbfd-2.22-system.so)
gcc -o exim_dbmbuild
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libbfd-2.22-system.so)
>>> exim_dbmbuild utility built

gcc -DEXIM_DUMPDB exim_dbutil.c
as: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libbfd-2.22-system.so)
gcc -DCOMPILE_UTILITY os.c
gcc -DCOMPILE_UTILITY store.c
gcc -o exim_dumpdb
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libbfd-2.22-system.so)
>>> exim_dumpdb utility built

gcc -DEXIM_FIXDB exim_dbutil.c
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/exim-4.80.1/build-Linux-x86_64/auths'
gcc auth-spa.c
gcc b64decode.c
gcc b64encode.c
gcc call_pam.c
gcc call_pwcheck.c
gcc call_radius.c
gcc check_serv_cond.c
gcc cram_md5.c
gcc cyrus_sasl.c
cyrus_sasl.c:32:23: fatal error: sasl/sasl.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [cyrus_sasl.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/exim-4.80.1/build-Linux-x86_64/auths'
make[1]: *** [auths/auths.a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/exim-4.80.1/build-Linux-x86_64'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any ideas on this ? Debian 7 new install is not working i'd say on a new default debian 7 box with only ssh apt installed..

You need to install db4-devel cyrus-sasl-devel

For others passing by :
apt-get install libsasl2-modules libsasl2-dev libdb-dev

Here are some problems during another test install :

init-scripts :
insserv: warning: script 'K01da-popb4smtp' missiing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'K01directadmin' missiing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'da-popb4smtp' missiing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'directadmin' missiing LSB tags and overrides

Apache :
httpd : Syntax error on line 133 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/httpd/conf/extra/directadmin-vhosts.conf: Could not open configuration file /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/httpd.conf: No such file or directory.

Exim :
Hunk #1 FAILED at 608.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 770.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 782.
3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /etc/exim.conf.rej

Vm-Pop3D:
Can't open /etc/inetd.conf: No such file or directory.
inetd: no process found
./build: line 7753: /etc/init.d/vm-pop3d: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/etc/init.d/vm-pop3d': No such file or directory

Dovecot :
Restarting Dovecot.
./Build: line 7780: /etc/init.d/dovecot: No such file or directory
Restarting Exim.
Shutting down exim: /etc/init.d/exim: line 42: kill: (3721) - No such process

mv: cannot stat `/etc/dovecot.conf': No such file or directory
Restarting dovecot.
Shutting down dovecot:
Starting dovecot:
cat: /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/ticket.conf: No such file or directory
cat: /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/ticket.conf: No such file or directory
grep: /usr/local/directadmin/conf/mysql.conf: No such file or directory
grep: /usr/local/directadmin/conf/mysql.conf: No such file or directory

AtMail :
Inserting data to mysql and creating database/user for atmail...
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

RoundCube :
Inserting data to mysql and creating database/user for roundcube...
ERROR: Error connecting to database: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head>
<title>Roundcube Webmail :: ERROR</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="skins/larry/common.css" />
</head>
<body>

<table border="0" cellsapcing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" height="80%"><tr><td align="center">

<div>
<h3 class="error-title">SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE!</h3>
<p class="error-text">Error No. [500]</p>
</div>

</td></tr></table>

</body>
Installation Says ended successfully, yet on 1rst connection :
exim Process is stopped 0 B Start Stop Restart Reload
mysqld Process is stopped 0 B Start Stop
nginx Process is stopped 0 B Start Stop Restart Reload
proftpd Process is stopped 0 B Start Stop Restart

And when trying to start them :
Exim : throws following log in mail.err in /var/log
Jun 24 11:29:09 uranus exim[7309]: 2013-06-24 11:29:09 exim 4.80.1 daemon started: pid=7309, -q15m, listening for SMTP on port 25 (IPv6 and IPv4)
Jun 24 11:29:09 uranus exim[7309]: 2013-06-24 11:29:09 Cannot open main log file "/var/log/exim/mainlog": Permission denied: euid=8 egid=8
Jun 24 11:29:09 uranus exim[7309]: exim: could not open panic log - aborting: see message(s) above

And indeed : /var/log/exim does not exist !
Had to create it : /var/log/exim/ with chown mail:mail to it for exim to work...

For others binaries : missing init.d script !

Last edited:
New install (maybe the last install was corrupted)...
I get on a plain debian 7.1 install (updates are here folks)

/usr/local/directadmin/update.tar.gz
./doChecks.sh: ligne 61 : [: : integer waited for expression (translated from french system)

But i'd say things are getting better : I've just seen passing Mysql install / Configuration / Rebooting...

Will update as follows

Mysql Install :
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
Can't open /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/services.status: No such file or directory.

Dovecot Install :
insserv: warning: script 'K01da-popb4smtp' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'K01directadmin' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'K01mysqld' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'mysqld' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'da-popb4smtp' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'directadmin' missing LSB tags and overrides

mv: cannot stat `/etc/dovecot.conf': No such file or directory
Restarting dovecot.
Shutting down dovecot:
Starting dovecot:

AtMail:

RoundCube:

POST INSTALL :

I have following mysql errors :
130624 17:31:11 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
130624 17:31:11 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
130624 17:31:11 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
130624 17:31:11 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
130624 17:31:11 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.3
130624 17:31:11 InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
130624 17:31:11 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 128.0M
130624 17:31:11 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
InnoDB: Error: log file ./ib_logfile0 is of different size 0 50331648 bytes
InnoDB: than specified in the .cnf file 0 5242880 bytes!
130624 17:31:11 [ERROR] Plugin 'InnoDB' init function returned error.
130624 17:31:11 [ERROR] Plugin 'InnoDB' registration as a STORAGE ENGINE failed.
130624 17:31:11 [ERROR] Unknown/unsupported storage engine: InnoDB
130624 17:31:11 [ERROR] Aborting

130624 17:31:11 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

130624 17:31:11 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /usr/local/mysql/data/uranus.pid ended
After removing : ./ib_logfile0 and ./ib_logfile1 as recommended on several mysql forum threads and restarting mysql :
I now get :
[ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the minimally installed my.cnf made by custombuild ?
[mysqld]
local-infile=0

This again corrected thanks to mysql forums : mysql_install_db did the trick after removing old data dir (archived it)
Now how do i run directadmin reconfiguration (custombuild or other ? )

Last edited:
./doChecks.sh: ligne 61 : [: : integer waited for expression
this was a CB2 bug (not related to any specific OS), fixed.

For MySQL, on the few boxes I was working with, the issue seemed to be lack of sufficient ram.
The systems I was on had only 512 meg of ram, zero swap. DA boxes need 1 GB minimum, with swap!
MySQL 5.6 on it's own uses 444MB of ram when it starts up, thus the install of MySQL completely failed (mysql.* tables were not created) as mysql couldn't start.

Another issue (not yet resolved) is possibly related to mysql not being installed before php was compiled, but php was being compiled with these 3 values hardcoded as:
Code:
mysql.default_socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
mysqli.default_socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
pdo_mysql.default_socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Manually overriding them in the php.ini worked fine, but still not quite sure why they were not set to /tmp/mysql.sock when php was compiled... as we are explicitly specifying them in the configure.php55 configure.

The minimal my.cnf is normal for all DA installs.

For anyone trying an install, if you'd like us to check (to get past some of these issues), just send us an email to support@ or use the safe_submit.php form.
It would more quickly help us determine which bugs are left.
We prefer clean OS installs so we can hit the errors ourselves but either is fine.

John

For MySQL, on the few boxes I was working with, the issue seemed to be lack of sufficient ram.
The systems I was on had only 512 meg of ram, zero swap. DA boxes need 1 GB minimum, with swap!
MySQL 5.6 on it's own uses 444MB of ram when it starts up, thus the install of MySQL completely failed (mysql.* tables were not created) as mysql couldn't start.

I don't think the memory consumption is in cause :
here is our VM hardware informatiion :

Processor Name AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4284
Vendor ID AuthenticAMD
Processor Speed (MHz) 2999.999
Vendor ID AuthenticAMD
Vendor ID AuthenticAMD
Vendor ID AuthenticAMD
Vendor ID AuthenticAMD
Vendor ID AuthenticAMD
Vendor ID AuthenticAMD
Vendor ID AuthenticAMD
Total Memory 12336716 kB
Free Memory 7286552 kB
Total Swap Memory 9875452 kB
Free Swap Memory 9875452 kB
System Uptime 0 Days, 17 Hours and 38 Minutes
Apache 2.2.24 Running
DirectAdmin 1.43.1 Running
Exim Running
MySQL 5.5.32 Running
Named 9.8.4 Running
ProFTPd *** Stopped ***
sshd Running
dovecot 2.2.3 Running
Php 5.3.26 Installed

Sending you an access to this machine for install verifications... Please log all actions for personnal understanding...

Tdldp

Just did a fresh insall on a UIbuntu 12.04 LTS Xen VPS and it went on without issue :)

I am just surprised to see that ngnix was installed ( ? )

Just did a fresh insall on a UIbuntu 12.04 LTS Xen VPS and it went on without issue :)

I am just surprised to see that ngnix was installed ( ? )

Can you tell us which options you took at install stage :
I've tested on CB 1.2 (default), php5/cgi without php6, apache 2.2, mysql 5.5, all others installed by CB1.2 ... --> Fails on mysql (still) and roundcube : DA has not validated Mysql 5.5 : don't use it !
I've tested on CB 1.2 (default), php5/cgi with php6/cli, apache 2.2, mysql 5.5, all others installed by CB1.2 ... --> Fails on php6
02/07 : I've tested on CB 1.2 (default), php5/cgi without php6, apache 2.2, mysql 5.6, all others installed by CB1.2 ... --> Works and is operationnal !

Will Test CB2 tommorrow

John : For your information :

I still have following problems :

insserv: warning: script 'K01da-popb4smtp' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'K01directadmin' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'K01mysqld' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'directadmin' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'da-popb4smtp' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'mysqld' missing LSB tags and overrides

Executing database schema update.
ERROR: Error connecting to database: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head>
<title>Roundcube Webmail :: ERROR</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="skins/larry/common.css" />
</head>
<body>

<table border="0" cellsapcing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" height="80%"><tr><td align="center">

<div>
<p class="error-text">Error No. [500]</p>
</div>

</td></tr></table>

</body>
</html>

And Mysql is still down ...

Last edited:
i just upgrade to debian 7 the only problem that i have is that i can't send mails anymore there is no listing to port 25 or 578.

dovecot is running.

During the upgrade it installed exim maybe this is the problem exim wont start then i get this error

Shutting down exim:
spamd: no process found
Starting exim: /usr/sbin/exim: error while loading shared libraries: libperl.so.5.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

anyone got an idea ?

fixed: to fix this i have set custombuild option exim to yes and build it now i can send mails again.

Last edited:
Hello,

I ran a debian 7 64-bit install last night.
Installed all pre-install commands (removed "which" from the list, was already installed)
Used the CustomBuild 2.0, all default options.
Ran the setup.sh.. had no issues, install went through start to finish.

John

it works, had some bugs. Especially because i had a small "da-custombuild" and the rest was custom build ;) :D Had some mysql trouble. Replaced my backed up my.cnf and it worked. Exim and Roundcube was a problem because i did that without the da-cb script. I now had to put them on in the CB2 and then they worked. PHP is updated so my users need to check their sites and coding ;) If you want specific details of the problems i can post them.
Short Info. My server went from debian 4 with da, to a debian 5 upgrade with the same da, then my server crashed, recovered the da backup and all was working again, then a dist-upgrade to 6 with the same da installed. Now to debian 7 the same da installed. With sometimes help from the da staff or the forum. Very good work from all directadmin and other people who take this software to another level. :) Thanks......

Back