Debian 7

I would also like to see this, I installed it on one of my servers today.
Now I just need DA to support it so I can update those servers as well.

Yes, I did something stupid.
I upgraded my server to the new stable release, i.e. the Debian 7 distribution with the new 3.2 kernel

Reversing to Debian 6 is not an option.
Now not only DA is not working any more , but I also experience difficulties with pure ftp, dovecot and exim, I guess because of the way the custom build script insatlled the applications instead of using the Debian repo

I wonder if DirectAdmin could give us a timeframe when to expect a Debian 7 compatible build script and a DA which is not using static linked libs anymore for compiling.

If the timeframe is a year, I would have no other option than to install a new server from scratch with Debian 6 and move all data from the old server.
This would be my last resort. I rather wait for a DA upgrade if we can expect something withinh the next coming month....

There's also one thing I'd like to ask the DA /Custombuild team in regards to ubuntu (which is based on debian).
In contrary to Centos for example, Ubuntu allows upgrading from one major version to another major version, for example from 12.10 to 13.04 and from there one can go to 13.10 and then to 14.4.. and so on.

I wonder how good DA and Custombuild would play along, in that game. From my point, I would like to have the newest stuff on the server and it would be great to just be able to do upgrades instead of haven to do fresh installs.
Thanks for your input :)

I dont see any problem with that once the DA is compatible with the newer OS, once is updated and the license is correctly set the software from custombuild are builded from source, so, if OS is supported, you will not have any issue on those software manged by custombuild.

Regards

Thanks SeLLeRoNe, yeah, thanks for the confirmation, that's what I thought... I am just not sure of the whole: Since "since the DA is compatible with the newer OS" refers to Debian and not Ubuntu, and since Ubuntu is based but on, but different than Debian in its versioning, there might be issues.
Since Ubuntu is quite popular and also very strong in cloud-computing with its bleeding-edge implementation of openstack, maybe there could be some more Ubuntu targeted and tested development, to always be sure that things like what happened 3 posts up, doesn't happen? :) yes it was a big mistake, but people make them ;)

Well before make a major update on a production OS i would highly suggest you to ceck the compatibility for that OS and dont update untill is compatible.

Here the way to understand the ubuntu relation with Debian: http://www.directadmin.com/ubuntu.shtml

As this post started, Debian 7 is now released so the DA Staff will start testing for that and will be made the needed edits for make it work.

You will need to wait that DA make Debian 7 compatible for use latest (13.04) Ubuntu i suppose.

More information may be provided by DA Staff.

Regards

:) yes of course, first check then deploy not a question there. :) My point was more targeted to the DA staff. The thing is, as long as any new Ubuntu version is "compatible" with let's say the soon to be supported Debian 7, everything is fine. But once Ubuntu hops on the next train of the development branch of Debian 8 for example, while ubuntu will work totally fine, it might not work with DA/Custombuild.

That's why I suggested to support Ubuntu as a "target" OS, not a derivative.

Thanks for your comments :)

Cheers

I solved my DA problems after upgrading to Debian 7 by a simple fix as mentioned in http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=236::

Code:
cd /usr/local/mysql/lib
rm -f libmysqlclient.so.16
wget http://files.directadmin.com/services/debian_6.0_64/libmysqlclient.so.16
chmod 755 libmysqlclient.so.16
ldconfig

Code:
./directadmin o
Compiled on 'Debian 6.0 64-bit'
Compile time: Mar 16 2013 at 23:00:19
Compiled with IPv6

For sure I did not try to re-install DA ;)

Rebuilt dovecot, exim and pureftp
All working again :)

According to DirectAdmin tech support, it will take a few months before a DA for Debian 7 will be available for end-users.
Just my two cents worth....

It seems Directadmin is running OK on debian 7 with binaries for debian 6, except one issue with libmysqlclient.so.16.

DA site says,
When will you support Debian 7
Once they release it and it's declared a "current stable release".

Debian 7 declared stable on May 4, 2013;

I'm having a new server put together. It would be wonderful to have the latest and greatest to run with/test.
I hope they officially support Debian7/Ubuntu12+ soon.

Last edited:
Hello,

Just as an update, as we're getting many emails about this, we are working on it!
I've got all of the ISO's downloaded, and am in the process of setting up the 2 new boxes for 32-bit and 64-bit.
Their implementation was delayed due to hardware failure of 2 other existing OS's build boxes, which have priority.

I'm hoping to get everything installed within a few days, and assuming all goes well, might have the test binaries available within about a week.
MySQL 5.6 will still be a question mark, as they've stopped providing tar.gz binaries, and only include deb files (I may try using them to keep things cleaner with regards to updates, but will added to development time)

In any case, please be patient! We know it's in demand and are working to get it out ASAP!

Thanks!

John

I can't wait for debian 7 compatibility release (you happen to know that debian 7 previsionnal release date has been announced 1 1/2 month ago? Why don't you make test's on announced to come releases : Ubuntu is known to release late April and October every year and can be tested as soon as beginning of april / October, Debian Wheezy was available in testing with minor evolutions since March)

If i buy a license for debian 6 will i be able to convert it to debian 7 for direct install on DA official release date ? (We are testing a VMWare Cloud infrastructure and i need to verify DA works on it this week..)

John... 2 weeks after any updates on this ? An answer for license question ?

64-bit is in testing, no major issues so far.
You're welcome to try it out, code name
StarTAC 7.0 64-bit

We recommend using the default settings with CustomBuild 2.0, although 1.2 should in theory still work fine.

John

Back