Horde Webmail 5.1 = awesome mobile support

Indeed, it would be a lot better than afterlogic webmail.
In what way or ways? You didn't specifically answer my question, and at the moment, that's an important issue for me.

Or do you mean that you prefer the look?

Or are there other features?

And are you comparing it to the free or commercial version of AfterLogic's webmail?

Jeff

Like many groups, the folk at kolab.org do a good job of hiding exactly what they have and what they do. Nothing linked on that page says anything about webmail; nothing on that page leads to anything about backup and restore.

Unless they can get better at communicating what they do I won't be looking at whatever it is they have, so maybe it's good that you are :).

I'm still trying to get information on whether or not Horde or AfterLogic offer what we (all of us looking for webmail to use with our shared hosting) need to transfer accounts between servers, and in and out of our servers.

RoundCube's backup seems only workable for complete server rebuild, and for many of that' not the only need we have.

Thanks!

Jeff

Do we honestly need another webmail client? Isnt 2 enough? Probably full of security issues as well.

Do we honestly need another webmail client? Isnt 2 enough?
That depnds on whether or not you get the features you need.

To me the most important feature is that we can set up serverside filtering for imap accounts (in other words manage the Doecot sieve/pigeonhole).

Another important feature is that if/when we need to move a user between machines we can backup/restore his personalization settings (especially his address book).

Right now we may get the latter with Squirrelmail (I'm not sure) but we don't get it with RoundCube. And the former we can only get with RoundCube.

We need both, and so do our clients.
Probably full of security issues as well.
Are you spreading FUD or do you know this for a fact?

Jeff

That depnds on whether or not you get the features you need.

To me the most important feature is that we can set up serverside filtering for imap accounts (in other words manage the Doecot sieve/pigeonhole).

Another important feature is that if/when we need to move a user between machines we can backup/restore his personalization settings (especially his address book).

Right now we may get the latter with Squirrelmail (I'm not sure) but we don't get it with RoundCube. And the former we can only get with RoundCube.

We need both, and so do our clients.
The webmail edition comes with a filter management app which takes care of forwards, vacation messages, spam and custom filtering. Everything is stored in sieve files, so it can be edited in other email clients.

Regarding import/export of user data, I couldn't find anything. Cpanel used to have some scripts which would dump the DB for specific users and that would be the best option.

pucky said:
Do we honestly need another webmail client? Isnt 2 enough? Probably full of security issues as well.
There is only 1, Squirrelmail is junk. roundcube is nice, but doesn't come with mobile synchronisation.
People working on Horde have good development practice and years of experience. This is not some random student project which will become unmaintained after graduation.

Regarding import/export of user data, I couldn't find anything. Cpanel used to have some scripts which would dump the DB for specific users and that would be the best option.
That's what I want. Documentation on how their database works, and a stable detabase schema, so someone here (John, hopefully :)) can look into integrating it with backup system.

Jeff

I'm surprised I wasn't able to find any DB schemas... Everything is built from PHP calls.
https://github.com/horde/horde

Might be worth asking around in their IRC channel.
#horde channel on irc.freenode.net

Other companies must be interested in migrating users... even if users themselves can back up or sync data to another location.

Anyone using Horde Webmail able to verify whether or not it stores user information in a database or a flat file? And whether it stores per user, per domain, or how?

Thanks.

Jeff

It's per user and in the backend of your choice. If you want to use MySQL, then the preferences are spread over several tables.
The wiki has some scripts to remove users. They're not up to date, as they're not needed any more to remove users, but a good start for a script which would import settings I guess.

They do have an IRC channel, where I'm sure someone could let you know if migrating scripts exist somewhere or if there is a better way.

You might be interested in making your voice heard here:
https://bugs.horde.org/ticket/2751

That very old request is to let users migrate their profiles themselves, but I'm sure there could be an admin option which would let someone grab only a few profiles, based on a filter.

Any updates on this? Would love to see this implemented within CB 2. Especially due to the activesync part which cuts the need to "expensive" exchange servers for syncing contacts and calendars.
?

Last edited:
Back