DirectAdmin CloudFlare plugin

trainhappy

Verified User
I'm working on making a CloudFlare plugin for DA, please pm me if you are familiar with DA and Cloudflare. I spoke with Cloudflare, they said when Im done, I can send it to them and they will take a look at it.

I'm very interested having a Cloudflare plugin for DA. PM me if you need beta tester for your plugin or if you need a french translation :)

trainhappy: Have you made any progress on this?

on webhostingtalk.com I found message from Cloudflare saying "We have been trying to find a contact for them so we can see if they would be interested in having us help build one." Does it mean that DirectAdmin team wasn't interested in cooperation?

Hello,

I can't recall any specific emails from them (perhaps it was a while ago and I just don't remember), however, we'd be happy to answer any questions they, or anyone might have in developing the plugin.
Note that we wouldn't be heading up such a project ourselves.

I'm not familiar with CloudFlare myself, but if my Googling is correct, it seems that it only needs to change the dns settings.
If that's all that you need to do on the DA box.. it sounds like an entire plugin might be overkill for that..
Just delete your 2 A records for domain.com. and www, and replace them with the CNAME values, as specified in the cloudflare documentation.

It's entirely possible there's more to it than that, in which case a plugin could be used.
We're always around to answer any questions on creating this, or any other plugin.

John

There's also an apache module, but it's installed with a few lines. I don't really see the point of a plugin either (but correct me I'm missing the point of it).

Hello

The point is that when you add a domain to CloudFlare, they are scanning your DNS records and they are copying what they find (mail, ftp, smtp, etc A records).
If you have some customized DNS records (A records added in Directadmin) cloudflare will not find it and those records must be added manually.

If you want to offer this to your clients, they will get confused when the must add left DNS records in their CloudFlare account.

The purpose of a plugin for this it will be that the you can offer the clients the possibility to automatically create a account on CloudFlare and push all the records there. Also, the ability to see/edit the DNS zones, that are now hosted at CloudFlare directly from the DirectAdmin control panel.

CloudFlare offers an API (http://www.cloudflare.com/docs/host-api.html) that can be used for this and as far as I know cPanel, Parallels, Interworx and ISPsystem are already offering this.

Cheers

Any maybe other options, like activate/deactivate cloudflare (by changing the nameservers), create custom DirectAdmin access link (like cp.domain.com:2222 as domain.com:2222 will not work after cloudflare is being activated), etc

The point is that when you add a domain to CloudFlare, they are scanning your DNS records and they are copying what they find (mail, ftp, smtp, etc A records).
If you have some customized DNS records (A records added in Directadmin) cloudflare will not find it and those records must be added manually.

If you want to offer this to your clients, they will get confused when the must add left DNS records in their CloudFlare account.

The purpose of a plugin for this it will be that the you can offer the clients the possibility to automatically create a account on CloudFlare and push all the records there. Also, the ability to see/edit the DNS zones, that are now hosted at CloudFlare directly from the DirectAdmin control panel.

CloudFlare offers an API (http://www.cloudflare.com/docs/host-api.html) that can be used for this and as far as I know cPanel, Parallels, Interworx and ISPsystem are already offering this.

Cheers

One more thing that I've discovered.
If the DNS zones are not synced with CloudFlare, if a client adds a subdomain, it will not work until you add the necessary A records to CloudFlare. With an addon, the new A record will be pushed to CloudFlare automatically.

R.

DirectAdmin Cloudflare integration

Did anyone ever get anywhere with this?

I'm just about to start development as we need it now so if anyone had a start point that would speed development. Or I'm happy to contribute if someone else is doing this

I'm keen for this too. It would save me making my own plugin! Utilising the CloudFlare API doesn't look too difficult at all.

Back