[Plugin] DNSSEC support for DirectAdmin

streamservice

Verified User
We just released version 1.4 of a module that can be used to make DS and DNSKEY records available within DirectAdmin. You can download it from http://www.tools4isp.org/da_tools4isp_dnssec.tar.gz

Currently it is only tested with name servers running PowerDNS using our scripts, however if you are looking for a module that also supports your DNS setup please contact me ([email protected]) about it.

Scripts are available on http://www.tools4isp.org/scripts.tar.gz

Features:
- Get DS records
- Get DNSKEY records

Planned features:
- Enable creation of DNSKEY/DS records

Do you want additional features? Just mention them here or mail ([email protected]) them and when I think it is a good idea I'll add it.

We use it for our own DirectAdmin systems and our DNS hosting product.

The code is not yet documented (sorry), however it is available under GPLv2.

Last edited:
You're confusing me because I because I don't know what DnsShop is, and Googling it gets a few sites but nothing I can definitely tie to your post.

What is DnsShop and where can we learn about it?

Jeff

DnsShop is an hosted DNS service we created in the last few years, it uses PowerDNS (with gmysqlbackend) as name servers. It can work perfectly as slave for Bind/Named (used by DA) where Bind is a hidden master. This makes it possible to support DNSSEC for all domains in DirectAdmin.

On another forum I did already (just a few hours ago) make the option public that we make the scripts public that we use for DNSSEC with PowerDNS (can be used without the other DnsShop scripts). For this to happen we need some funding for the extra time it will take, at this time 100 euro of the required 250 euro is promised by a company. When we have reached the target of 250 euro we will make an updated version with more options public within 1 week, this includes documentation (in English and Dutch) to install PowerDNS including our scripts on your own servers. This way it will be an option for everyone that doesn't want to use the hosted DNS service we offer.

We are also thinking about making the current DnsShop code as open source software available, before this can happen we need to create documentation and clean up the code. This will probably happen later this year, more details about this will be released at that moment.

Thanks for the extra info. What I can't find is who is DNSShop; I've googled but I find a bunch of places, nothing definitive. Obviously I've I'm required to use them I'd like to look them up, see pricing, check out their reputation, etc.

Thanks.

Jeff

Thanks for the extra info. What I can't find is who is DNSShop; I've googled but I find a bunch of places, nothing definitive. Obviously I've I'm required to use them I'd like to look them up, see pricing, check out their reputation, etc.

Thanks.

Jeff

That is the idea behind DNSShop (as it is a whitelabel service). The services are offered on streamservice.nl (site is in Dutch, however the control panel, support and billing is also available in English). Later this week it isn't required anymore to use DNSShop with a plugin from us, it can also use your own PowerDNS setup (or from anyone that supports it). We will update the plugin and make everything required to use it open source. For this change we did receive money from a few Dutch hosters that use DirectAdmin.

Regards, Mark

Google Translate has no problem translating the streamservice.nl site. Or maybe it does, because I still can't find any reference to dns on the homepage. So I still don't know if I want to try to use the plugin without having to build my own PowerDNS servers or not. Can't you make it a bit easier for people like me :D ?

Jeff

Is there some documentation regarding this plugin? Will this be released as OSS? Or only the dnsshop software. I'm asking this because I was hoping this would work with the directslave plugin(if needed the powerdns version of the plugin).
Is it possible to adjust the plugin so it will work with the directadmin multi server setup? Or is this already supported? Why is it necessary to use powerdns?

Is there some documentation regarding this plugin? Will this be released as OSS? Or only the dnsshop software. I'm asking this because I was hoping this would work with the directslave plugin(if needed the powerdns version of the plugin).
Is it possible to adjust the plugin so it will work with the directadmin multi server setup? Or is this already supported? Why is it necessary to use powerdns?

The latest version is available under the GPLv2 license. This version also supports it to use other DNS solutions based on PowerDNS.

PowerDNS is required as this is used in the scripts to put all DNSsec related information in a database. If you make something to do that based on another name server it should also work with other name servers. The latest version is available on http://www.tools4isp.org/da_tools4isp_dnssec.tar.gz with scripts from http://www.tools4isp.org/scripts.tar.gz

Last edited:
Back