Setting up external ip behind router CentOS/VirtualBox

ericovk

Verified User
I am trying to create my internal development server with DA. DA needs an external ip address for this and the box I set up is now running on an internal ip. I have a setup like this:

Internet connection with static ip > Router (Apple Airport Extreme) > Servers and computers

The server is running CentOS 6.4 through VirtualBox. How can I set up CentOS so it can get the external ip as the address of the server?

We are also running another server to sync calendar and address book stuff and to share files.
We are able to get an extra external IP address for the new server, but we would like to have the DA server in the internal network to have optimal speed performance for the development team.

You'll need to set your Airport router to pass through all the ports required by DirectAdmin trhough as unNATted (in otherwords, pass them through to your box, on the original IP# without changing them to a local IP.

I'm not sure how to do this with either the Airport or Virtualbox, or even if it's doable at all, because I don't use either in my environment. (For the same reason, I've bought a Business Internet connetion from my ISP, with a static IP subnet. Multiple IP#s, which pass through un-NATted to my stand-alone development boxes.

Jeff

I got a step forward. My Mac mini server is now directly on an internet connection with a static IP. Now I got another issue. I am running VirtualBox with CentOS on it. CentOS needs to have a static IP. But OSX has the only (external) static IP. OSX and CentOS can't both have the same IP. Do I have to create a bridge from OSX to VirtualBox somehow?

That's a great question to ask on a VirtualBox forum. But of course if someone here knows, feel free to answer :).

Jeff

I managed to install DA on the internal server. I got rid of the router and put the machine directly on the wall plug.
After that I bridged the ethernet within Virtualbox (after giving OSX a dynamic self-signed ip). Then I set CentOS' eth0 to bridge over br0 and set the proper ip and dns settings in the ifcfg-br0. If anyone is interested I could upload some more info.

Back